SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has run into the wobbly demons? In other words has the plastic union on your valve cover worn and become loose? This seems to be a recurring problem for me. I have various styles of venting breathers/catch reservoirs for the oil to vent through, but regardless of which one I run the union seems to vibrate and wear into a wobbly, leaky SOB. So I'm working on a solution to avoid this problem on my bikes.
I'd like to know who else has run into this?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
the union on the valve cover?, or the side that goes into the airbox? Either way, mine's still tight (crossing fingers and also knocking on wood:D)

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Who has run into the wobbly demons? In other words has the plastic union on your valve cover worn and become loose? This seems to be a recurring problem for me. I have various styles of venting breathers/catch reservoirs for the oil to vent through, but regardless of which one I run the union seems to vibrate and wear into a wobbly, leaky SOB. So I'm working on a solution to avoid this problem on my bikes.
I'd like to know who else has run into this?
the union on the valve cover?
Yes the valve cover :D

Oh and the airbox really isn't a great place to vent the oil breather, even though all manufacturs do it.. :headshake Take a look in the bottom of your airbox after a hard session on the track/canyon ride/stunt session. Oil collects there.. then if your airbox has a drain hole (most do) or you lay your bike down, all that oil goes where? On the ground, in the path of your rear tire. Not a good thing for supermotos. Not to mention the oil splashes/oil-rich air can't condense and run back into your engine. All bikes would benefit from returning the vented oil back to the engine, there's less oil consumption if done that way.
I'm also working on a solution for this :D

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Sorry, ADHD sets in when reading a post more than a few sentences long and I don't actually read the whole thing:lol:

As for the airbox thing. I don't fill my oil much above the bottom line and have never noticed any oil in the airbox or dropped on the front of the swinger. No issues here....(Again, crossing fingers and knocking on wood)

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've not seen the valve cover fitting coming loose, I'm guessing it's a snug push fit??

I vented the hose to a mini K&N and fitted it onto the intake filter plate..

Here it's in a neutral airspace. I think the problem with returning to the motor would be the suck/blow (missus) :D pressure, esp on a big single. As oil goes back it gets pushed out etc..

I think you've got a good point though re the run back to motor. Surprised the manufacturers not gone further with this.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not seen the valve cover fitting coming loose, I'm guessing it's a snug push fit??

I vented the hose to a mini K&N and fitted it onto the intake filter plate..

Here it's in a neutral airspace. I think the problem with returning to the motor would be the suck/blow (missus) :D pressure, esp on a big single. As oil goes back it gets pushed out etc..

I think you've got a good point though re the run back to motor. Surprised the manufacturers not gone further with this.
The OEM has a small plastic lip on the end that clicks into the valve cover. But seems to come loose. I guess 7602 already makes a replacement union, I didnt know this.. But Im still going to try and get mine to market. From what I can tell, theirs is a little different than mine anyways.

As per the vent: I am returning it back to the engine but the pressure is still vented to the atmosphere via another line.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The OEM has a small plastic lip on the end that clicks into the valve cover. But seems to come loose. I guess 7602 already makes a replacement union, I didnt know this.. But Im still going to try and get mine to market. From what I can tell, theirs is a little different than mine anyways.

As per the vent: I am returning it back to the engine but the pressure is still vented to the atmosphere via another line.
Where are you returning it back to the motor? I also think that the line that runs to the airbox, if overflowed, drips onto the air filter instead of just creating a mess. My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you returning it back to the motor? I also think that the line that runs to the airbox, if overflowed, drips onto the air filter instead of just creating a mess. My 2 cents
Playing with different places for returns.

The oil return line is different for the carb'd bike. But yes you're right about it being higher up on the opposite side on the FI bikes. But better not to have hot oily air dropping into the intake, its like venting exhaust into the cold air intake of your car. :lol: defeats the purpose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts