SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my valves today and ran into an odd scenario. For 2006(most likely other years as well) the valve clearance on the husky smr450 should be .004-.006 on the intake and .006-.008 on the exhaust. Checking it I couldnt even get a .004 into the intake, only a .003. Now I know these checks are fairly simple but I am somewhat confused, when the valves are out of spec they should be on the bigger side of the gap, correct? So a .007 gap on the intake would be out of spec. But is it strange to be for it to be on the lower side? As far as the exhaust goes, both are in the middle of spec but one side seems to be a little tighter then the other, is that ok?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
You will need a thinner shim for your tight intake valve. The exhaust is in spec, don't over complicate things, let it be. The shims are common size(9.48mm) to many Japanese bikes, take the shim to a shop and ask for one that is .003"(.075mm) thinner, you will be good. Also, it's easier to deal in metric numbers whenever possible. As for your question on "lower" or "bigger" gap... Let's use your intake specs for example. IN SPEC is .004-.006, this means .003 or less is tight, .007 or more is loose. Both are out of spec and should be adjusted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts