SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2006 DRZ400SM. I have had the bike for about 3 months now and have started to dive into doing maintenance and mods. The bike has 9k miles on it and probably does not need all of this service but I want to do it anyway just to learn about my bike, and also just for the piece in mind.

Last weekend I did oil and coolant. This weekend I did new spark plug, valve check, clean air filter, new grips, and lower brake pedal. Everything went pretty smoothly except for over tightening two bolts which led to me drilling those out.

My question is about valve clearance. I watched a YouTube video of a guy doing valve clearance on his DRZ400E and he said the valve clearance is IN: .10 - .200mm EX: .20 - .300mm. This is my results:

IN:
.102mm: Slid through but had some drag
.127mm: Would not slide through

EX:
.203mm: Slid through with a little bit of drag
.229mm: Slid through with lots of drag

So do I need a my valves adjusted? Because in the video I watched, his valves were dead perfect. For IN, .150 had some drag which is what you want for it being in the middle. For his EX, .250 had some drag. His valves were perfect in the middle of where spec should be. Mine are different, do I need a valve adjustment?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
535 Posts
If the ranges are correct (which I dunno as I don't have a manual for that bike handy) I'd say you're borderline to re-shim. Valves tend to tighten up over time, so those gaps aren't going to widen with use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts