SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally got 1000miles on my 510 :bannana:

I put it in at 500miles to the dealer for an oil change and valve check. They told me they were adjusted at the service. Now at 1000 I'm doing it myself. Dumped the old oil out tonight and have got a new filter to go back in etc check and clean the screens.

While she's apart I thought I'd check the valve clearances. I've noticed a light sort of, well 'tinkling' noise under light throttle until she's motoring. Does this sound like valves? I'm hoping the valves were done at the 500 so I'm thinking only 500 later they should be ok but I'll check.

How often are you 510 street riders checking your valves and what are you finding?

·
Registered
128 Posts
every 500 is ok for street use.. some people go more or less. they may move around a little when the bike is still new and then should stop.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
every 500 is ok for street use.. some people go more or less. they may move around a little when the bike is still new and then should stop.
Thanks, Yeh that's kind of what I've read. I was kind of thinking they would settle. 500 miles come round pretty quick in the summertime lol.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I have almost 3,000 miles on mine, haven't moved a bit. Keep a clean air filter and change oil regularly.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
+1^^^ I check mine about every other oil change (maybe every 3rd oil change). After you get 2,000 miles on it, they should be settled in and probably will not move any more aftre that.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My schedule was/is as follows.

Every 500 to the 3k mark (1 intake and 1 exhaust needed to be re-shimmed looser at the 2500 mile mark), then...
Every 1k to the 5k mark (1 of the exhaust moved just a hair out loose), then...
Every 2500 miles, and she is just about do now as I am about 200 miles shy of the 10k mark. Last check, and they hadn't moved. :D

My bike is not raced, but it's not babied either. I have tapped the rev limiter a few times. Hit it in 1,2,3rd last week chasing a wheelie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've checked mine 3 times and I'm at roughly 4000kms (and a few track days). The valve clearance has stayed constant.

Gotta love how easy valve checks are on these bikes :thumbup:

The "tinkling" sound you refer to under light throttle is probably drive chain/roller/guide noise, I get the same thing on my bike.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have almost 3,000 miles on mine, haven't moved a bit. Keep a clean air filter and change oil regularly.:thumbup:
Would that be a Twin Air filter by any chance Gutzy?! :lol:

+1^^^ I check mine about every other oil change (maybe every 3rd oil change). After you get 2,000 miles on it, they should be settled in and probably will not move any more aftre that.
That's kind of what I was hoping. Seems early investment in these bikes pays long term dividends in reliability.

My schedule was/is as follows.

Every 500 to the 3k mark (1 intake and 1 exhaust needed to be re-shimmed looser at the 2500 mile mark), then...
Every 1k to the 5k mark (1 of the exhaust moved just a hair out loose), then...
Every 2500 miles, and she is just about do now as I am about 200 miles shy of the 10k mark. Last check, and they hadn't moved. :D

My bike is not raced, but it's not babied either. I have tapped the rev limiter a few times. Hit it in 1,2,3rd last week chasing a wheelie.
That's a good schedule, I'll go with that.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've checked mine 3 times and I'm at roughly 4000kms (and a few track days). The valve clearance has stayed constant.

Gotta love how easy valve checks are on these bikes :thumbup:

The "tinkling" sound you refer to under light throttle is probably drive chain/roller/guide noise, I get the same thing on my bike.
You know, I thought chain. Sometimes with the exhaust etc it's hard to pin to noises down. Thanks for that, calms the valve paranoia a bit :D

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Some one else posted this statement about the tick noise on Huskys. If it sounds like sewing machine it's all good. If it sounds like rocks in a pop can, NO GOOD. :D

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some one else posted this statement about the tick noise on Huskys. If it sounds like sewing machine it's all good. If it sounds like rocks in a pop can, NO GOOD. :D
:lol: yeh weird, I'd not noticed it before but it's def not a bad knocking or anything I'd heard bikewise really. More of a sort of rustling sort of sound then you wind the power on and it just disappears. Why I was thinking valves but might well be chain :headscrat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts