SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally found some time to work on the motard, even took some pics.

My goal was to convert for street use on the cheap without replacing the stator. Most of the big ticket items and the bike were used, just about everything else came from MotoStrano. Still have a few more things to wrap up before inspection and registration but it's getting close.

Wheels/Brakes - Warp 9 17" 3.5/4.25
Drive - DID o-ring with 13/47 gearing
Chain slide and guide TM Designs
Header - FMF PowerBomb
Battery - Ballistic 8 cell
Display - Trail Tech Vaypor
Front Fender - Acerbis EVO SM (universal)
Headlight - KTM EXC-R 450/530
Tail Light - MOTOLED Anato Enduro
Kick Stand - Trail Tech SM 5402-10
Hydraulic Brake Switch - 10mmx1.25

On to the pics, enjoy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what light and does it have high and low?

is that 5k with bike or after bike?

z
primary bulb is 12v 35/35w
there is also a secondary 5w bulb that i have running anytime low or high is on although it isn't needed

price was including the bike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Finished fabricating the HL brackets. I used some scrap .090 aluminum from the shop, same as the battery bracket.

upper

lower

used rummer grommets on upper HL mounts to help dampen vibrations.

had to shim out the upper mount bolts because the ID of the grommet was too large, used more vac plugs

side profile

off

high beam, light output is actually pretty good but it needs to be aimed

w00t! ready for my first night ride

still need to clean up and paint the new hardware but enough for one day. oh and sorry for the shitty cell pics, will have some better shot real soon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's official

got my plate today

should have the paint done and some better pics in the next day or so

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is so sweet! I'm thinking about doing the same thing, as we will be able to convert dirt bikes in Washington state in 2012, to street legal. One thing I'd like to know about the kxf is how much vibration does it have? Does it mildly tingle hands and feet? Put them to sleep? How long are your normal rides, and how does it compare to your last thumper for vibes?

Thanks-Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
a few shots from yesterday

vibrations are not too bad but it does make the mirror damn near useless. yesterday i spent a little over an hour riding, not quite a full tank. my previous 4t was a dirt trim 06 KX450, before that i was on a 636, completely different beast.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no fan on the KX so i keep a close eye on my temps. this weekend i drained the radiators and refilled with RL water wetter.

distilled water temps
  • 65 mph 160-165
  • idle max temp 214
water wetter
  • 65 mph 158-160
  • idle <200

thinking of having the header ceramic coated next, any reason not to?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have an 06 here in southern california and was looking at gettin it street legal howd u get your plate idk bout the 09 but the 06 is red stickered meaning theres no way at getting it street legal.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
sorry guys i sold the bike a couple months ago and haven't been here since.

as far as getting a plate, in Texas anyway, get insurance and have the bike legal enough to pass an inspection. request a green sheet from the tech. lol mine wasn't actually green but i guess they were at one time. next head down to the sub court house where you pay for your tags and requested a plate. they will notice that the bike is "off road only" and start asking questions, at that point hand over the sheet and answer their questions. i simply said that the bike met all the legal requirements and sort of played dumb about the rest and didn't go into the details but i guess you can if you want. i was told that there is a form that you also need to fill out i didn't need anything else except to pay for the registration and taxes. they did not go by the book value here so be sure to let them know who great of a deal you got when you bought it and that you picked it up a week or so ago otherwise you will have to pay more. i think i dropped $350 that day :(

i don't recall the RPMs but i may have reported them in another thread after the Vaypor install.

HTH and BTW all of the parts used for the conversion are for sale, i'll make you a killer deal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
uuc328 - What kind of speeds are you getting out of that gear ratio? I'm looking to have some lower rpm at speeds around 45-65mph.
IIRC top speed was 82 and change
45-60 was livable but I personally didn't feel comfortable keeping the bike above that for sustained periods of time. made several short <30 minutes highway trips, temps were not an issue i was always more concerned with the minimal oil capacity and the fact that it was shared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
IIRC top speed was 82 and change
45-60 was livable but I personally didn't feel comfortable keeping the bike above that for sustained periods of time. made several short <30 minutes highway trips, temps were not an issue i was always more concerned with the minimal oil capacity and the fact that it was shared.
Did you keep the stock gearing or ended up changing it?

Thanks for the reply back!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts