SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum and I am also wanting to get into riding. I am looking into getting a 2013 DRZ400sm locally that has a rebuilt/ salvage title with 1k miles and they are asking 5400$. I want to know if that is a fair price and what I should look for if I go check it out. The owner says it was a theft recovery and was never wrecked and it looks to be in great condition, it also has full yoshi exhaust,3x3 airbox mod and is jetted. thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Salvage title resell is horrible. Doesn't matter what the cause was.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I feel that it depends on what you plan to do with it.
If you plan to ride it for a year and sell then that can be tricky to find another buyer that understands the history of the bike.
If you are like me and get attached to vehicles and keep them forever then it could be a decent deal.
Things are only worth what others are willing to pay but if you never sell it then it doesn't really matter.
When I look for cars and bikes I buy them and enjoy them when i can and keep them on the road until they are literally worth nothing. But that is when they are worth gold to me if they are still running.

Maybe use the salvage title as an advantage to negotiate a little lower but if the bike checks out it wouldn't be a bad deal for the low mileage.

An insurance company or local dmv or even police dept should be able to tell you that the bike is still legal but just has a salvaged title.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Tell the owner that guy you're worried about resale due to the rebuilt title and offer him $1K less. Then keep it forever. The engine's are pretty bomb proof. 1000 miles is barely broken in. I doubt a thief would have done any measurable damage to it unless it was being run without oil. People are seeing around 20K miles before a rebuild.

If you buy it, do a full fluid and filter change, and go through it carefully looking for missing parts. Use medium strength loc-tite on any loose bolts. there are also a number of preventative maintenance things known as the LocTite fixes that are highly recommended to ensure that no common issues arise moving forward.

You can always sell off the exhaust to recoup losses related to the rebuilt title if you decide to flip it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check with your insurance provider before making a move on this bike. You need to know that they will insure the vehicle and if something were to happen how would they value the bike? With nation wide and state farm they severely diminish the value significantly. as in maybe 20-30% of a non salvaged bikes value. This would really hurt you if you get smidsy'ed and the insurance company only offered you 1k for a bike you have 5k into.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Check with your insurance provider before making a move on this bike. You need to know that they will insure the vehicle and if something were to happen how would they value the bike? With nation wide and state farm they severely diminish the value significantly. as in maybe 20-30% of a non salvaged bikes value. This would really hurt you if you get smidsy'ed and the insurance company only offered you 1k for a bike you have 5k into.
This is more to the point of what I was trying to get at with the insurance and BMV and local police?
Nice point made.
Just be wise of what you are getting into so you don't get scammed.

I have a tech buddy that has bought a couple of salvages cars and trucks. Good deals can be made. You just gotta know what you are in for.
Ask a lot of questions. It could be a good bike for many years to come.

If I were looking for something and it was a deal that was safe then I would consider it as another toy.
But again. I hang on to things for a long time so I sometimes think differently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If this is your first bike I'd stay clear of this one just for simplicity. The deal isn't that great and not worth all the hurdles/risks that go with it. Great choice of bikes though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help! I ended up passing on that DRZ and bought a 2010 kx450f that i will later convert to SM so ill probably be needing some advice on that! But thanks for all your help

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts