SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

got my mod 1 and 2 on the same day, january 9th, so pretty nervous for that day!
Just looking for some comforting advice if there is any!
Also, how long does Mod 2 last?

Thanks, ORINJ

·
Registered
487 Posts
UK Test

Hey - Did my test in Burgess Hill a couple of years back. Here's my advise.

Mod 1
The toughest part of this test for me was the u-turn. Loads of people seem worried about the swerve test and emergency stop as well. My advise. If you have access to a bike, even an L Plated 125. Hit a car park and do loads of slow speed practice. Just figure 8's, circles and getting used to controlling the bike using the rear brake, throttle and clutch. To the point where you're feeling rather than thinking about maneuvers. Always looking where you want to end up. not at what you're steering around. Whenever I've had a week or so off my bikes I do this. Find a car park and just throw the bike around some in first gear. I make a game out of it. See how tight I can turn and how fast I can make those turns. Makes no end of difference!

Mod 2
This is easier. Lasts about 30 - 45 minutes and for the most part you're just riding around town normally. Things to watch out for : Ride as close to the speed limit as possible. Mostly this will be 30MPH which is pretty damn slow actually. Don't go over it. If you can see street lights you're in a 30 zone. 40 zones have posted speed signs every 400 yards. 50 zones every 500 yards or so. In national limit areas just ride at a speed (below 60) that feels comfortable. Don't feel that you have to do 60 everywhere. if you're not sure what the limit is. Look out for side roads entering the larger road. They have the limit posted just before they enter a larger road and you can use these.

Exaggerate your mirror checks and shoulder checks. If you're going to change speed either accelerate or decelerate - Check your mirrors first. If you're changing direction, always shoulder check ( even if you're just moving over to go around parked cars ). Also shoulder check just before you move off from stopped at lights or roundabouts. Both sides - you're checking for other bikes and bicycles here!

When the examiner tells you to pull over. Do it as soon as you can but don't stop in any driveways, bus stops or side roads. If you can't see a safe place to stop. Keep going till you can find one. Before you pull over, indicate, shoulder check maneuver. Same for starting off again. Mirror, indicate, shoulder check but look all the way behind you - down the road. Then go.

Sorry for the long post. Above all. Try and stay relaxed. Your brain works best if your body is not tense and a bike responds better when you're floppy ( yes, seriously! )

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, great advice thanks mate, the more the better so really appreciate it!
I thought the best thing to do would be to get practice on a 125cc but I don't have a bike unfortunately. ( Just turned 21 and trying to get all tests done before the license changing on the 19th January, thought getting a bike would slow it up)

I know it was only a CBT but I was quite confident with turn in the road, although I wouldn't always feel comfortable turning the whole way round while looking at the end spot, seemed slightly off balance but I guess this would come with practice too. I have two days training next friday and saturday on a GS500 so will tell the instructor what I feel I need to practice.
I think I may go out on my bicycle and practice shoulder checks. It's obviously gonna be no where near the same as there is a lot more to think about, but i think that is better than nothing.
Did you have any problems with the swerve test? I am quite nervous about that too...

Thanks again,

ORINJ

·
Registered
487 Posts
Swerve test

OK. So this one seems to freak out a lot of people but it's not a big deal really. The swerve is done at 50km/h - 31 MPH if my memory serves. But it really isn't a big swerve at all. If you've ever ridden a dirt bike it's almost what you do when a rock pops up on front of you on a trail. More like a shimmy rather than a full on swerve. The trick is the timing of it all and getting the speed up fast enough.

As you go round the bend you'll be in second gear. Look as far round the bend as you can and keep your arms bent while pressing forward slightly on the inside bar. Try to use only your inside hand to steer as you go round the bend. It'll make it smoother. Outside arm is kinda just a guide. And don't go into the bend too fast. It's slow in, fast out. As you approach the obstacle you need to do some counter steering. Practice this a bit on your push bike. Ride along at a fair clip. Both arms loose and press forward on the right bar. the bike will immediately flop over to the right and turn. Same for the left. This is how you steer a motorcycle. You don't lean or drag it around. You use pressure on the bars. Getting used to this phenomenon you'll have no problem with the swerve ( it's a tiny swerve - trust me! ). Stay loose on the bike. On youtube - Watch how the sumo guys and MX guys shift the bike around beneath them as they swerve. It's like that! Once past the obstacle it's time for braking. Smoothly on the front - but fairly confident. Sorta like - take the strain and then squeeze! Use a little back brake just before you stop completely. it stops the front from locking up on you if you transition smoothly from front to back just before you stop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quite worrying that i wasn't informed of this on my CBT. Turning is surely the most important thing besides correct braking! Glad i've been told now or i'd carry on pulling the bar rather than pushing so thanks a lot mate. Just been looking at some swerve tests on youtube and it really is a s small swerve! need to get it right all the same.
Hate to be asking such nooby question for someone who has their test soon, but when you push forward on the right bar, theres no delay between that and the lean is there? it'll lean with the push.
Wow i feel unprepared, but more prepared than I did this morning! haha. Hopefully with my 2 days training it'll make sense in my head, wish I had a 125 right now though!

Thanks again bud.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yup. It leans with the push. Right away, no delay at all. Do it on your push bike and you'll see. Exactly the same on a motorbike. The only caveat is that you need to be going more than maybe 15mph. Slower than that and it's more like the opposite. Sounds confusing but it isn't really. 2 days training should have you feeling ok about it too. Where are you at BTW? I'm in Horsham, West Sussex.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Portsmouth, Hampshire. Hopefully doing Mod 2 on local roads that i've been driving on for 3+ years will be an advantage.
Ok thanks, if alright, i'll PM you after my training if i've got anything i'm not sure of that the instructor didn't answer or that I didn't ask.

Planning to do a bit of greenlaning on the south downs in the summer after I've got some experience.
Pretty localish to both of us so a ride in the summer may be in order, greenlaning or otherwise! I'll keep you posted.

thanks again, ORINJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
Advice.. I hope

Hello, I passed my mod 1 with no minors, but I ride trials so I'm good at going slow ;) and I failed my mod 1 the first time, but passed the second, and I failed because I changed lane without looking, just make sure you observe check look and be aware, and what helped me with the nerves was to think of the instructor basically as a sat nav, "turn right" ect :) you will do fine, can't say that I'm as helpful as the precious posts, but just make sure the examiner knows you do sholder checkes, make them a little longer than usual so he sees.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet, how did you get into trials? thanks for the tip mate, gotta accentuate everything i guess. Same as driving test, had to move your whole head rather than just glancing with your eyes.
good tip with the sat nav though, the pressure of them behind me will cause mistakes hopefully not my ability. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Passed them both yesterday ( delayed due to holiday) , mod 1 no minors and mod 2 1 minor for awareness and planning. Now to save up for a DRZ!
thanks for the advice guys, really helped!

ORINJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
Passed them both yesterday ( delayed due to holiday) , mod 1 no minors and mod 2 1 minor for awareness and planning. Now to save up for a DRZ!

ORINJ
CONGRATS!

Do the new restrictions apply for you or not? :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luckily not, completely unrestricted. The new law comes in on Saturday so I felt a lot of pressure, especially as i had mod 1 and 10 then a 3 hour wait for mod 2.

I even went right instead of left, TWICE and still didn't even get a minor for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Luckily not, completely unrestricted. The new law comes in on Saturday so I felt a lot of pressure, especially as i had mod 1 and 10 then a 3 hour wait for mod 2.

I even went right instead of left, TWICE and still didn't even get a minor for it.
Nice one mate, I can't imagine how happy and releaved you feel now, and I bet your examiner had a good laugh about the directional mistakes :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, can't wait to get out on the road! Just got to decide what I want now, pretty set on a DRZ but as nice one doesn't come cheap!
Might go down the finance route if the % is right but we'll see. If last year is anything to go by, the nice weather is feb-may so i want one ASAP!

·
Registered
487 Posts
What I did is just scour ebay for second hand sumos. TBH if you ride a sumo it's gonna get messed up a bit. Or at least dropped a few times if you're using it properly. No need to beggar yourself on a financed bike that is +3K when you can pick up some excellent machines for around 1500. Scuffs on a sumo mean nothing since all the plastics are so cheap and swappable. My Husky 610 cost me 1300 with 17" street and spare 18, 21 knobblie wheels. It's the mutts nuts!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah cosmetic wear doesn't bother me too much, but i seem to either find one with 6k on it for about £3500 or one with about 25k on it for around £2000, doesn't seem to be any middle ground. whats the upper limit for mileage on a second hand sumo? I'd love a husky but I dont know if going +400 is sensible for a first bike.
Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm on eBay 24/7 looking at sumos. Always looking for deals as my mates are looking. They do pop up occasionally so keep looking. Where abouts in the uk you from

·
Registered
59 Posts

ORINJ
Good stuff passing your test, its a great feeling. I bought a DRZ when i passed and its a great bike to start on as a beginner. Track days, greenlaning with my sumo and being a hooligan is brilliant. I rode it stock for a year and just recently got a MRD/SSW exhaust, FCR carb and done the 3x3 mod, Much recommended. Have fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm on eBay 24/7 looking at sumos. Always looking for deals as my mates are looking. They do pop up occasionally so keep looking. Where abouts in the uk you from
Hey, yeah i've been scouring ebay too, It's a waiting game really, i've seen locally a black DRZ400 with 8000 miles on it, completely stock 07 plate for £2995. I'm going to go have a sit on it tonight and might put a deposit down if it feels/looks right. I'm in Hampshire, you?

Thanks yorkie, it was a great feeling, especially as I was so nervous beforehand, It's nice to know that I never have to take a bike test again! Enjoy your DRZ, I bet she sounds lovely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts