SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, long term Lurker first time poster so go easy on me haha. I have been an offroad rider for over 35 years, desert racer, MX junkie etc so I know my way around a bike etc. Enough about me let's talk wheels. I have a buddy who's big into Supermoto and he's been bugging me for years to buy some Super wheels so I started surfing the net. Dubya and Alpina are crazy money so I passed on those, Warp 9 was 6 to 8 week build time and I wasn't about to buy some kkk wheels from China bay. I then came across the Tusk impact wheels, I couldn't find anything about them and thought they should be fine. I'm doing this on a budget to see if I like SM so I bought some JT stock size brake rotors and some Dunlop gpr300 tires. I found on here ktms can run a 120 front and 150 rear without issuie so that what I ordered. Got the tires mounted at the shop so I didn't scratch the rims and rush home to install them and proceed to do wheelies...or atleast that's what I thought. The rear wheel sits so far to the chain side that it pushes the chain out about an 1/2 and I have about 1" of clearance on the other side of the swingarm. So I call my buddy and he says he can change the rear offset for me so as he's driving over I start on the front wheel. I was told to clearance the fork guards on my bike so the tire clears and I did that. I install the spacers tusk provides and while it doesn't hit the fork on the rotor side its definitely not centered. I tighten the axle nut and the wheel will not spin. The brake rotor is rubbing the caliper bracket. I swap sides on the front spacers and it doesn't change anything, same problem. Im getting frustrated so I wait for help, he checks my work and says he has no idea why the front is dragging so hard. I try the oem spacers but they are not compatible with the front tusk wheel ( didn't try this on the rear ) I was getting pretty frustrated so we decided to pull the front wheel and remove the rotor and install the wheel again to see if it works. This is when shit went sideways. I went to remove the rotor bolt and it started spinning the time sert. Yes there's time serts in the hub where the rotor bolts thread in...why? All of my other wheels are threaded into the Aluminium and no time serts. Did they mess up in machining and this is there fix. I don't know but all I do know is we messed the hub up pretty getting the rotor bolt out of the time sert. My buddy noticed something odd, the front and back wheel are 32 spokes and he said what are you going to do if you bend the front rim? I do a quick Google search and yup I couldnt find a 32 hole front rim anywhere including Rocky mountains's site. I have had Honda's so I know they run 32 in the rear but all bikes are 36 spoke fronts so he's right, if I bend it I'm screwed. That was my last straw I hope they take these back I'm not impressed. Bottom line is I learned my lesson and I wanted to share my experience so other noobs don't experience the same problem I did. Looks like I'll be ordering wheels somewhere else. No wheelies for awhile :( oh I forgot to mention the spacers are a bit odd. The oem spacer is the same diameter all the way thru where it rests on the axle and the Tusk spacers only touch at the outermost edge of the spacer so there not fully resting on the axle and I've never seen my other bikes wheel spacers like this. Just wierd and the whole thing made me uncomfortable with the build quality. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a shity situation , I don't know about Tusk we don't get them here but (thankfully), send them back asap with the pictures and everything.

32 spokes?
36 isn't the norm?
Anw if you want good budget wheels , I have heard good things about VMX.
Other than that FaBa makes a good wheel(sm strong) but slightly more expensive everything else is money. Rims, hubs spokes or complete.

Hope it doesn't put you off from SM , give it a go its so much fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I am very close to ordering some SM wheels for my 250 EXC. I am 97.634% decided on Warp 9's. Basic set-up is $1,000USD and that's not bad. For a couple of upgrades (like a floating disc and titanium bolts), I think I'll be around $1,200. Looked at those VMX FS650 posted but 800Euro is about $1K USD (similar) and W9's have a lot of reviews. I live in Mexico so waiting 8 weeks is like next-day delivery for me :-D

·
Registered
539 Posts
On the rotor thread inserts, that's actually stronger than just threading into aluminum directly. In the early days of the chinese pitbike flood I would purposely put timeserts into my wheels before fully assembling the bike as well... some of the aluminum castings were not great.. On the 32 spoke count issue, I would hope Tusk offers rims for rebuild purposes?

That said, boy it sounds like you got wheels intended for a different year/model. I haven't run Tusk wheels personally but have seen them in use on both sumos and MX machines so it appears they do get them right some times. Curious to hear what the resolution to this is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts