SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm way new to the scene of supermotard. I have a 06 GSXR 750 and I just bought an 02' XR400. It has a full yoshi pipe, x-ring chain, renthal bars, renthal rear sprocket, full skids, UFO headlight, black plastics, and I can't think of the rest right now. I want to make it into a supermotard bike but also keep the option to ride in the dirt. Here's what I was thinking, I'm not going to race it yet (the nearest track is 3.5 hours away), so I was going to get used stock rims and put some road tires on them. Or would it be best to just drop a whole load of cash on true supermotard rims? Is there anyway to search supermoto junkies classified ads for used motard rims? I saw a guy had put CBR 600F1 rims on his XR 400, would CBR600 F4 rims work, I saw some on craigslist and they look nice and are fairly cheap. BUT I don't want tons of spacers and crap to make the wheels work, that freaks me out, I don't want a wheel flying off when I'm tearing down the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Dave from Vermont

·
Registered
175 Posts
sup dude, i also ride an xr400r SuMo bike. i believe f4 rims are too wide seeing as they fit a 180 on them. i run a 150 on my xr, and a few have run 160's. i dude from my school has an xr250 and found buchanon (sp) supermoto rims with hubs and spoke for only a few hundred doll hairs on their website, so i would look into that. and if you wish, i will buy your dirt wheels. lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let the snow melt

Thanks for the tips. What kind of tires do you normally run? What would you reccomend for gearing on the street? Is yours street legal? I've got tons of blinkers from crotchrocket hanging around and I want to stick them on there and get a plate for it, which is fairly easy to do in VT.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i got mine with 17/45 already on it and it cruises 65 no problem and a top speed of 99 mph (on a dyno, hit 99 in 5th at rev limiter). also with a little convincing it will wheelie off power in 3rd and it easily clutches up in 3rd, but this one has had a lot of work done to it and cranked out 41 hp on the dyno.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could get a 16 tooth front and 49 tooth sprockets on ebay for really good prices, I don't need to go 99mph, would this gearing get me up to about 75-80 without wailing on my bike too bad? What kind of HP do you think my bike makes with the full Yoshi and a uni filter, it s jetted too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
75-80 on mine is a little rough, it's too much rpm's to hold for too long, that's when mine starts burning oil is when i go too fast for too long. 65 is the sweet spot for mine, 55 is even better and i can pick up a wheelie at 50 so it's almost perfect for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts