SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had a new tire installed and was attempting to get the rear wheel put back on my DRZ400SM and I'm having some difficulty.

Specifically I can't seem to to get the rear braks caliper holder that slides into the swingarm to get in line with the axle hole so I can slide the axle through.

Any tricks you guys have found? I've lubed the exterior of the spacer face but still no avail.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem is. Slide the bracket onto the swingarm tab that the bracket slides on. Align the hole w/ the axle slot in the right side of the swingarm. Sock the wheel on, slide the axle through from the left side (sprocket side), and through the caliper bracket and right side swingarm. You have the axle block adjuster bolts/nuts loose and threaded into the swingarm a little to allow you some room? It's a good idea to anti-seize those adjuster bolts while you are there too. It really sucks when they seize and break off in the swingarm.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I finally got it. That was a heck of a PITA when compared with the ease of doing the same on my Aprilia. Had to do a bit of mechanical contortionry and add on the brake caliper after the wheel was on. Absolutely could NOT get the wheel axle and the caliper holder to line up with the caliper screwed on.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well I finally got it. That was a heck of a PITA when compared with the ease of doing the same on my Aprilia. Had to do a bit of mechanical contortionry and add on the brake caliper after the wheel was on. Absolutely could NOT get the wheel axle and the caliper holder to line up with the caliper screwed on.
Did you spread out the brake pads with a large flat blade screwdriver first? That can give you a little wiggle room with the rotor. It's one of those things you'll eventually get the hang of.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah didn't touch the brake pedal and there was plenty of lateral space between the pads. It was more of a front to back limitation. Luckily won't be taking the wheel off very often!

These DRZ's are fricken heavy. I found a free milk crate ( the real thing from the local dairy) and after a day or so of the bike on it it was beginning to show some serious warpage. :lol:

I need a lift stand I suppose. As the combo of rear paddock stand, straps from the ceiling, car jack, and milk crate is a little tedious.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got a great stand at harbor freight for $50 (regularly $60)....Great for the $$ anyway. I've seen similar ones at Sears for $120+

Oh, and I bought the thing because I needed to pull my rear tire off as well. It sure was a pain to get the thing back on. I had the same problem you did, but I just kept trying until it finally lined back up for me. Good times.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You can get the Craftsman on sale for around $60. The aluminum version is more expensive. They both come w/ the ratchet straps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've looked at that stand on sale, and it was $80 over here. I think the normal price is $120. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this thing......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get the Craftsman on sale for around $60. The aluminum version is more expensive. They both come w/ the ratchet straps.QUOTE]

I had looked at that stand at Sears and happened to read all the reviews on the Craftsman site about it. It seems this thing has ALOT of failures with some part on it. I think it was fluid leaking or something and people's bikes being dropped. Scared me away when I read that. Hit or miss it seems with most. Kinda leaning towards a lift stand that takes up less garage space like the DRC model for $80 or so.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I read the negative comments on Sears site about the m/c jack as well. If it comes down & the bike falls off, it's the users fault, because it locks in position. The handle pops right off, and then it really takes up no more room than the bike itself. It's very nice to be able to wheel the bike around to wrench on it, or just be able to move it w/o fear of it falling off the jack. It's perfect for the garage. The downside is it's pretty dang heavy. It wouldn't be worth a nickel and two jars of cold piss for hauling it anywhere to use as a pit jack. The bottle jack is a bit slow in colder weather as well. Otherwise, :thumbup: :thumbup:.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the Pro version of the Craftsman and it is great. The lesser quality one that has the problems is the basic lift. I have seen the Pro go for as cheap as $130 on sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts