SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be an (extremely) bad idea to transport a bike on its side. I hope to pick my bike up soon, but it's 5 hours away. My friend was kind enough to go with me to pick it up in his car which is a volvo 850 wagon (no hitch). The bike will be on it's side for 5-6 hours.

I will drain the majority of the gas out, and the only thing else I could see leaking is the oil, which I'm hoping won't leak into the parts of the engine that shouldn't have oil in them....or all over his car.

I feel pretty foolish asking this question, but I guess it's better safe than sorry :)

-Alex

·
Registered
516 Posts
it will leak all over your car. Just rent a PU or minivan from Enterprize. I rented a Chrysler town and country with stow and go seating to go to a race before. Supermotos fit standing up if you remove the front tire.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i rented a F150 from enterprise.... gas milage wasnt too great, but it let me transport the bike fine.

the only problem i can think of is it WILL leak fuel out the carb, and vents..... i doubt the shaft seals would leak oil or anything like that... it'll be fine, IF theres no fuel in the carb at all, and the tank is empty.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Biggest mess will be oil thru the breather tube into the airbox (and all over the Volvo). So drain the oil from a warmed up engine, as if you were going to change it, take off the fuel tank and lay it upright beside the bike, and empty the carburator bowl thru the drain bolt on the bottom.

I'd still lay it on a plastic tarp but that should protect the car and won't hurt the bike any. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. I think I may just drain the gas and oil, that way I wont have to disassemble the bike in any way outside the comfort of my own garage :D. I really hope I can get a hold of his minivan or suburban and just drive it in the back, but I will be paying for gas so the 32 mpg volvo is my favorite choice.

Rental is also not an option due to cost.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha I would actually love to, but riding a bike that I have no clue about the prior history/condition kinda unnerves me. Not to mention I have no road/highway experience at all on a bike (it will be my first).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking more: "Do and I'll die!" I mean NO road experience. I have my motorcycle permit (not the full license), no MSF course etc. Besides, will 5hours straight of constant 70mph speeds strain the engine?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Play it safe, transport the bike and take the MSF. No sense endangering the bike or yourself if you have zero street experience. :bike:

BTW, where do you live in SC?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Charleston, but will be in Clemson for the school year. I plan on taking the msf after I get back and have paid for the bike and gotten my gear.

In case anyone was wondering, the bike is a 1999 Yamaha wr400 rebuilt with 426 engine parts (I hear I should switch back to the steel valves and ditch the titanium?). It also has no supermoto setup, just dirt. (is 2,800 a fair price?) It has a full yosh rs3, and a bunch of other goodies like skid plate, levers, suspension stuff, powder coated parts, etc

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm in Charleston, but will be in Clemson for the school year. I plan on taking the msf after I get back and have paid for the bike and gotten my gear.

In case anyone was wondering, the bike is a 1999 Yamaha wr400 rebuilt with 426 engine parts (I hear I should switch back to the steel valves and ditch the titanium?). It also has no supermoto setup, just dirt. (is 2,800 a fair price?) It has a full yosh rs3, and a bunch of other goodies like skid plate, levers, suspension stuff, powder coated parts, etc
schweet. im in charleston too.
try checking out CornerJunkies.com.... local bike board.. mostly sportbikes, but theres several of us motard-retards on there.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah,there's scriders as well. I will have to join up...as soon as I get a bike that is:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
If this guy can do it with a Ducati, then you can surely figure it out.... :thumbup:

You won't even need the rack like this guy made to keep his fairings from getting thrashed.

YOU CAN DOOO IT ! :bike:
(and take pictures, too)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmm, might not be taking the volvo now because my friend might not come.

However....my moms good friend was given a 2000 something ford pick up...that he can't (and never has) drive because it is manual. I might be able to borrow or rent it, but I'm afraid the gas mileage will be terrible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmmm, might not be taking the volvo now because my friend might not come.

However....my moms good friend was given a 2000 something ford pick up...that he can't (and never has) drive because it is manual. I might be able to borrow or rent it, but I'm afraid the gas mileage will be terrible.

Set the cruise at 55, and you'll be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts