SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 01 drz s and purchased a trailtech x2 DOT headlight, I bought the halogen thinking it would be plenty bright. As cool as the light looks it just doesn't cut it for a headlight. The first time I rode with it I wasn't sure it was working, the high beam is fine but I seriously have a 4 led headlight for my bicycle that is brighter then the low beam, I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem or if it is just me lol

Thank!

Ps I'll try and post some pics up to show what I'm talking about

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
oh no its true you'd probably have more light from a candle than that damn low beam... bought one for my yz450 as it was dot and i didnt have to build it unfortunatly the light sucks on it in low to the point even having it on dosent help people see you. Iv resorted to just running it high beam all the time and havent had any issues with people getting mad so itll stay that way till i wanna build an HID projector style from like a fx-35 projector as it has a solenoid high/low beam... we will see though as i dont ride much at night just point A to B. days i feel its just safer for me, not for people seeing me but what i can see flying around the streets...

z

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought :( I guess I'll just wire it so it's hi and low all the time, for those of you that may be wondering what it looks like here are some pics:
Low beam

And high beam

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the off road model on my drz, and the low beam is ok, but not that impressive. I have no clue as to whether it is stronger than the dot light or not. I durring the day, I run high beam all the time, on all my bikes, to improve my chances of not getting hit. At night, I can ride with the low, but I usually run the high as much as I can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got mine on a few weeks ago and have been pleased with it. Most of all how much cleaner the front end looks. But yes the light output isn't what I thought it would be. Now Trail Tech is offering a DOT reflector and bulb kit that uses an H3 bulb instead of the goofy bulbs that come on the off-road version. The revision was in June of 2010 according to the site. My plans are to buy that kit and add an HID bulb and ballast and call it a day. In SC I would much rather blind driver's and pedestrians than get hit or pulled out in front of by some drunk with no insurance. I will report back when I get it all set up.

I have been running my headlight opposite from what is pictured above. Using the larger bulb for low beam and the smaller spotlight for high beam. Looking at the DOT kit, the reflector is different on the larger bulb which I can only assume is the intended low beam. Considering the smaller bulb projects farther it makes some sense.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got mine on a few weeks ago and have been pleased with it. Most of all how much cleaner the front end looks. But yes the light output isn't what I thought it would be. Now Trail Tech is offering a DOT reflector and bulb kit that uses an H3 bulb instead of the goofy bulbs that come on the off-road version. The revision was in June of 2010 according to the site. My plans are to buy that kit and add an HID bulb and ballast and call it a day. In SC I would much rather blind driver's and pedestrians than get hit or pulled out in front of by some drunk with no insurance. I will report back when I get it all set up.

I have been running my headlight opposite from what is pictured above. Using the larger bulb for low beam and the smaller spotlight for high beam. Looking at the DOT kit, the reflector is different on the larger bulb which I can only assume is the intended low beam. Considering the smaller bulb projects farther it makes some sense.
What site did you see this information on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That up grade is for the offroad version, its on the trailtech website under "replacement parts" the dual sport version already has the H3 bulbs, I suppose you could just add a HID kit to it with H3 bulbs, I might try that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered a kit from DDMtuning.com 6000k H3 35w HID kit, when I get it in I will post a write up with pictures so everyone can upgrade. The kit was $46 shipped, I had 8000k from them on my ZX-10 and they were plenty bright, hope to have the same result here!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ordered a kit from DDMtuning.com 6000k H3 35w HID kit, when I get it in I will post a write up with pictures so everyone can upgrade. The kit was $46 shipped, I had 8000k from them on my ZX-10 and they were plenty bright, hope to have the same result here!
Please Do!

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'm sure I'll have to refer to that when I do mine. I'm sure the dormant will be slightly different on the x2 but I'll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
140 Posts
You should look into a LED setup. I love mine. Super bright, looks cool, ultra long lasting, and no HID "shake"
Do you run LEDs in the x2, or a different light?

I bet you could get the h3 bucket for the x2, slap a fat led bulb in it and hopefully end up with a decent upgrade.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought mine from Uptite husky but you can buy the same light or different sizes right from Rigid Industries. Thats the company that makes it. They do all types of off road lighting.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought the non-dot version and it's insanely bright, even with tinted goggles at night. nobody has tried to run me down or even flash their high beams at me yet, so i think it's good so far :headscrat

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not great pics. Its not as far as my stock high beam but it is so damn bright just the reflection off the road projects far enoughto see anything hahaha. I have it set kinda low so I dont burn everyones retinas on the street.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts