SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya folks. I already have a sportbike that I try to take to track days, and now I really wana get a dirt bike and/or a sumo bike, which won't even be road legal. If I wana get serious about this, and race as much as possible, which I do, I NEED to finally get a trailer and hitch.

Here's the main issue: I have a 1999 Mazda Miata. Yes, this will be my trailer car. It's my do-it-all car... I think my next car will be a vette, which can probably pull a boat, but before I drop that kind of cash on a car, I need to invest in my racing hobby first.

I don't want to get a big enclosed trailer. I'm cheap. I want to get a small single bike trailer. I've missed out on small trailers in the 200 dollar range. That's what I'm talkin about. I duno how much a trailer of that size weighs... dirt bike is around 230 or whatever I guess... my sport bike weighs about 410. I'd never carry them both at the same time, but do you guys think this is doable?

And does anybody know a good trailer/hitch place on Long Island, NY?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is it a mazdaspeed miata cuz your gonna be needing that turbo :Funny:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pull my CRF150R supermoto on a little Harbor Freight 4x8 folding trailer using a 96 Civic - does just fine. Not the speediest thing out there but I've taken it from OH to WI (~450 miles each way) with no problems. MPG drops from 37 to about 25 though!

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I am getting a harbor freight trailer myself soon to pull behind a 4 banger accord. eBay is a good source for hitches or use google for other options. I have found where I can get the bolt on hitch & car plug in electrics for $150 shipped!

Its hard to believe that little of weight in the wind would drop the MPG that much! Take off the front number plate for better MPG?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got my hitch and harness for my '02 Civic Si from www.hitchfinder.com. You can look up your car and download the installation instructions to see what you're getting into. Installing my hitch was easy peasy Japanesey. :thumbup:

BTW, I used to see Miatas pull little trailers all the time when I used to autocross. They all had HF setups similar to this guy: http://www.wizco.net/MX5/Mods/autocross_trailer.htm

·
Registered
752 Posts
I used to tow a 15ft boat with a 60HP outboard and it did it fine.

I couldn't afford an SUV at the time and made do.

MikeE

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think you'll need a box on the trailer for your gear. I used to have a miata when I was in the navy,and couldn't fit a full seabag in the trunk. I think you'll be hard pressed to get your body bag full of riding crap in that trunk. FWIW My gear bag is about twice the size of a US standard issue seabag.

If you're not bringing a passenger along then I guess it could ride up front next to you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Many moons ago, I started with a 4X5 trailer by Harbor Freight, bought some motorcycle rails, mounted them up (single bike set up) and away I went. FYI - the HF motorcycle rail is dirtbike sized (too narrow even for a 160 rear tire on my SV), so I used their front rail and chock, and picked up a wider rail somewhere off the net. Built it in a weekend, but check your state laws if you build a trailer. It was a real PITA getting it "inspected", weighed and tagged. If you get a HF trailer - spring for the bigger wheels/tires, makes a noticable ride difference.

Also - I have found that wind resistance matters more than weight when towing, and even with my Xterra towing an open landscaping trailer - it makes a very noticable difference wether I have the rear ramp/gate in the up position or laying flat on the trailer itself. The amount of crap I put on it seems to make less difference than the rear gate. Plan your braking, stay in the right lane, and you'd be fine pulling a light trailer/bike rig.

·
Registered
552 Posts
1liter he's not conflicting he means do we think is possible to pull the trailer and a bike not both bike's. just how he worded it.

yes it's possible. my brother had a little justy 3 cylinder and he pulled a 4-8 trailer with his bike on it all the time up over the mountians too. not the fastest but it got there fine. on occasion he had my three wheeler and his dirt bike on it to which was over 600lbs. the mazda could haul it and stop it fine. after all that is mazda's little "sports car". I wouldn't load more then one bike on it if it was me. btw uhaul sales hitches and might have one that'll work for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts