SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 690 SMR that I am going to do a few trackdays with. I have a trackbike and know the requirements for tech.

Has anyone been turned down by the tech inspectors for not wiring the oil filter covers and or the oil screen caps?

Easy to do but a pain as well, the oil fill cap and the oil drain are no brainer's but most tech inspectors at most trackdays don't know everything about KTM and my bikes are always very well prepared. I have never had a loose bolt in any of these areas on my 525 so I was hoping to not have to worry about those mentioned on the 690 for the 20 minute sessions we do for trackdays.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What trackday company and what group (beginner, advanced, intermediate)?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sportbike Track Time
TECH INSPECTION LIST
START FROM THE FRONT OF THE BIKE

-Check brake pads
-Check clip ons are tight
-Pull front brake lever.....
-Does throttle return correctly
-Does kill switch work
-Is chain too tight or too loose (many are too tight)
-Tire condition and recommended air pressure
-Foot pegs on correctly
-Shifter linkage connected to shift shaft tight (i have found a handful are too loose) please double check this
-Exhaust on tight, not falling off
-Body work secure
-Lights, blinkers taped
-Mirrors removed or taped up
-Wheel weights taped
-Drain plug wired pulling tight (Advanced)
-Fill cap wired pulling tight (Advanced)
-Ask about coolant.. I and A group

The oil filter is optional.. what we REALLY want is that drain plug wired and the filler can be RTV if not wired.

Also advise Intermediate riders that they should consider at least RTV silicone on the drain plug and filler cap...

·
Registered
195 Posts
By reading those rules I would say you could get away with RTV dabbed between each bolt and the filter housing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Please switch to distilled water for your safety and everyone else. Doesn't take much anti-freeze ruin the party for everyone. Have fun!

·
Registered
569 Posts
yeah my old racing days we could only use water, but was wondering about track days, i know how hard it is to clean up anti-freeze, harder than oil....but would be a pain to drain, then put in water, then back to anti-freeze for the street

·
Registered
335 Posts
Distilled water with Water Wetter or just distilled water. You can run it until the fall, then change it before the first freeze.

·
Registered
569 Posts
thanks Pete...now to find out if they have a Supermoto practice session here or whatever at our track

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pete!

I have run with NESBA, SBTT, Turn One Performance and FBR at Barber, Little Tally and Jennings in the Advanced group.

My GSXR is race prepped and I did not want to go to that extreme and was as mentioned, not wanting to drill the screen caps and the oil filter bolts if I did not have to.

FBR is having the annual Barber event July 26th and I will be there with both bikes. Not sure how the SMR times will be compared to the 600 but we will see.

If anyone is interested in more info : www.floribamariders.com
Great group, well organized and safe!

Garry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts