SuperMoto Junkie banner

Track Days - How-to info

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  supermoto101 
#1 ·
Racers, Riders and fellow procrastinators,

F.Y.I re: Ontario Track Days

I often hear ' there is no place to ride SM". While there is an amount of truth to that, there are places willing to acomodate with just a little planning and commitment on our part, delivering a whole day of fun.

As many of you know SM bikes are welcome at almost all of the various track days held here in Ontario and probably in all other provinces too. Granted there is no dirt section 'yet'...at these facilities a great amount of fun and learning can be had running with the road race crowd as long as you are willing to do things their way.

Last summer myself and others made inroads with some promoters of these track days which for SM would run primarily at Mosport DDT (small track) and Shannonville MSP (Nelson track). By inroads I mean that Pro6, Turn2 and 55 degrees all became willing to have SM specific sessions if the numbers of attendees made it worth while and fair to the RRace guys.

Understand if you paid for a track day you would not think it's cool to watch 4 guys have the whole track for a SM session when they could be mixed with another class thereby eliminating one session which gives the entire paddock more track time. There has to be a strong following of SM to warrant the special session and therefore a special track configuration.

At Mosport DDT mixing with the RR guys is not as huge a deal because everyone rides the same track, however at Shannonville the opportunity exists (when they rent the Nelson circuit) to 'turn-in' early and use the kart layout for SM. This is an accomodation that takes little to acheive (moving one flagman) but makes ALL the difference in fun and learning when you're riding SM. Now your sliding and riding the way SM should be and you're not beating your motor half as hard.

The organizations mentioned above did this for me last year and it was a great success. Going forward they will do it again but usually want at LEAST 10 SM's to do it. This is where the problem starts.. our guys seem to want to sit on the fence until the day before and then try to sign up. Sorry guys this isn't going to cut it, it's not motocross!! Often the RR guys file in at the last minute and the day becomes full. Or, five SM guys commit early and then another 5 sit on the fence until the event is sold out (usually the week before), which shafts the first 5 who are now forced to RR instead of SM. I know, it's happened to me.

We need to be more organized and book earlier or we will continue to lose out on these opportuities, which by the way are fewer and fewer. It's becoming rare to see the Mosport DDT rented for a RR track day and the same for the Shannonville Nelson circuit because for a guy with 1000cc rocket these tracks are small. The RR guys also have a new track this year in Calabogie.... mmmm fresh pavement.:clap:

As an example this Monday April 23rd coming, Pro 6 has the Nelson Circuit rented at only $135 per rider. If we get 10 guys we can have our class on the kart track and have some serious fun.

All anyone has to do is call 1-866-789-PRO6 and register NOW. The most important thing (next to actually calling in) is to clearly tell them you are interested in SM on the small track. They are going to tell you your spot is assured (know there is a limit to the total # of riders for the day) but riding the kart track is not assured until they reach the minumum 10 SM riders. If 10 don't commit ahead of time then we all ride the Nelson track, which while going fast is mildly entertaining, does not have near the value in terms of the learning and sliding fun factor the kart track has. Remember if you don't tell them SM, they assume you are a RR guy.

Appreciate, these guys are organized to the point of having the classes basically arranged before they even get there, so they can minimize their workload and have some fun too. This means changing things last minute to accomodate riders who couldn't commit earlier is basically not going to happen.:laughingr

www.ontariotrackdays.com it's 'the' source for all the events for the whole summer so there is lots of advanced notice.

So look ahead, pick a day, get the boys and girls together and book early!!

See you there.

DA.
:thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
If you guys want to ride for less than 1/2 that amount give me a call. 716-515-8509. We have opened in the past for Canadian holidays and just about anytime a group wants to ride. We have no dirt section yet, but are planning to start one once the weather breaks. We are less than 1 hour from the boarder. Our scheduled practice day fees are $30 usd members, and $35 usd non-members ( membership fee $60 usd).

Bob Trimper
KBM MOTORSPORTS INC
Batavia International Motorsports Park

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.