SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a few track days coming up here in Portland at PIR. It's a 1.9 mile, 12 turn course:

How does it work on a bike with such slow top-speed? Do you just tear up the twisty stuff and just thumb yourself going 90 down the straight? Just seems a little weird. I've done about 12 events in my car but will be my first event on a bike.

There is a local kart track as well that does practice days so I might start doing that first.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did a couple TD's on my 510 at New Hampshire Speedway, Loudon and found redline in 6th just before the turn in for turn 1 with +1 front sprocket, but unlike the pic you posted, our turn one is a 4-5th gear turn.
Tore up the rest of the track and passed sportbikes all day on the brakes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sounds like fun, always love hearing about sport bikes getting torn up by supermotos!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
im from portland also and i would say stick to the cart tracks much more fun for our type of bikes plus you can go 10 days for the price of 1 at PIR. From my experience mostly car, PIR is all about speed and power which our bikes dont really shine in either dept.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I top out at about 110 with my 450 at BeaveRun, and that's a bit below redline. You don't want to be riding at top speed in 6th gear for any significant amount of time, unbalanced motors don't like that. I think PIR might be a bit for motard, especially if they don't use that kink before the straight.

Last year at Mid-Ohio (another fast track) there were a pair of decked out KTMs trying to make the most out the day. With two 6th gear straights, they didn't seem to doing too well with the rest of the advanced group. Got a kick watching them try all sort of body positions trying to get that extra MPH out of the straights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts