SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the 690 is capable of in stock trim and gearing?

At Pikes peak during the test I hit 81 mph on the dirt at 11,000 ft elevation with GPS. I only used the GPS that one time, so I am curious what this bikie can do.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What kind of top speed is possible on that Mountain? Considering the altitude, the fact that you are climbing, and length of straights, is it possible to get a motard bike much over 105 there?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
105 MPH is a number I would like to see. I think I am going to change the gearing a little. Either 1 down on the front or 2 up on the rear.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i'm sure you can get it over 105, i was cruising at 110 with no problem, and altitude here is 5500 feet, realizing you will be higher at pikes, depends how steep it is on the way up

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well its not a SMC but it is a 690. I got 114.3 on GPS and I had to get off it a little cause of a head shake. Its a 690SM 2007 with 9700 miles. Stock gearing, stock maps with Leo vince full exhaust.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've only seen 105 and that was in 5th just before the rev limiter. 6th doesn't pull very hard but I would have to think the 120 they stated as top speed is doable. I don't have the straight stretches needed for top speed where I live unless I get on the interstate. IMO it's no fun going fast in a straight line on the SMC. One thing I have noticed is that this is the most balanced bike on a wheelie that I've ever ridden. It has to be the gas tank, once you hit that balance point it's like you're on two wheels again.:thumbup:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've only seen 105 and that was in 5th just before the rev limiter. 6th doesn't pull very hard but I would have to think the 120 they stated as top speed is doable. I don't have the straight stretches needed for top speed where I live unless I get on the interstate. IMO it's no fun going fast in a straight line on the SMC. One thing I have noticed is that this is the most balanced bike on a wheelie that I've ever ridden. It has to be the gas tank, once you hit that balance point it's like you're on two wheels again.:thumbup:
i've started getting a little crazy with 2nd gear wheelies and it seems like balance point is pretty early on this bike. i have probably only held a wheelie for maybe 3 or 4 seconds on it though. lol

i'm not a huge wheelie guy but this bike might turn me into one. one thing that scares me is that the fuel tank/sub frame is just over a thousand dollars retail and i'd imagine if you looped it then it would be destroyed pretty quickly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i've started getting a little crazy with 2nd gear wheelies and it seems like balance point is pretty early on this bike. i have probably only held a wheelie for maybe 3 or 4 seconds on it though. lol

i'm not a huge wheelie guy but this bike might turn me into one. one thing that scares me is that the fuel tank/sub frame is just over a thousand dollars retail and i'd imagine if you looped it then it would be destroyed pretty quickly.
It will definitely make you a wheelie guy. I've started riding wheelies beginning even in 3rd and 4th gear (with the right finesse.)

I'm not worried too much about destroying anything on the bike, My deductible is only $100. I sure as hell don't want to wreck her though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine is not broken in but as soon as it is I'll do a top speed run. I just went out for an errand from work and hit some high speed sweeper off ramps, 97 mph leaned way over felt as stable and surefooted as could be, going up a reasonable hill. It felt like it had much more to do, so I have to believe 115 indicated is a sure thing. When I straightened it up I hit the bars back and forth trying to get it to wobble at 95mph and it did not shake its head once. I read on some forum that a couple of posters found the 690 SMC a bit squirrely over 90, I do not feel that at all. So far I'm really impressed with this chassis through turns at all speeds up to 97 miles per hour.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I get tons of head shake when I am going over 90. But it is all relative, Its alot of head shake compared to rocket with a stearing stabilizer. I dont really think its that bad for supermoto. Im thinking of fabbing up stabilizer this weekend. If i get around to it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would not be happy if my SMC shook its head....

I'm surprised yours shakes, mine is dead stable cornering at 95+ and when I shake the bars to test it. I'm at 30 psi both tires. Maybe you need to lower the rear a little by reducing the ride height adjustment of the rear shock. I have a real problem with bikes meant for the road that have power enough to get them to an unstable speed. To me that's a design error.

Something has to be amiss with your rig.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I get MASSIVE headshake from 65mph on. Pressure is fine. Pretty sure it's suspension related.

Of course i'm clueless about suspension. 6' 200lbs.

Lil help?

·
Registered
123 Posts
MCJason, you've got to get that straightened out. Go to the manual and see how to firrm up the front just to see. Also, lower the reawr by reducing sag a bit just to see. Shake the rear wheel and swingarm side to side to see if something is loose. Something has to be way amiss. You can't have a $9k bike that weighs 300 pounds and has 60 hp or whatever and be limited to 65 mph. That's taking all the fun out of it! Believe me, the bike is much better than this. I have a lot of bikes and this thing is a blast.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
I get MASSIVE headshake from 65mph on. Pressure is fine. Pretty sure it's suspension related.

Of course i'm clueless about suspension. 6' 200lbs.

Lil help?
actually slide up on the seat towards the tank and see If that helps....If so, "Increase" your spring preload on the rear, reducing your sag......BTW good advice on the bike manual...you may find you have to go up in spring size to match your weight......"might" eventually have to go up spring size in the front eventually as well....look in the tech section of the site...If you can't find it PM me and I will set you up with a link....:thumbup:

·
Registered
728 Posts
MCJason, you've got to get that straightened out. Go to the manual and see how to firrm up the front just to see. Also, lower the reawr by reducing sag a bit just to see. Shake the rear wheel and swingarm side to side to see if something is loose. Something has to be way amiss. You can't have a $9k bike that weighs 300 pounds and has 60 hp or whatever and be limited to 65 mph. That's taking all the fun out of it! Believe me, the bike is much better than this. I have a lot of bikes and this thing is a blast.
huh?

that was directed at me? i have zero problems with the handling of this bike.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I hear the steering head bearings needed adjustment on a few of these as delivered. Start there if the thing is acting up at 65. If that doesnt do it double check your front tire balance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks boys.

I'm pretty sure the sag is too stiff. I'm afraid of stripping the collar as some have.

You know how some guys can ride a bike and say, "ah... the rebound needs to be adjusted..."? Well, i'm not one of those guys.

I'll fiddle with it all tonight and make sure everything is aligned and good. I'll try to set sag right and set the shock and forks to "comfort" as a base.

I'll also raise the forks in the clamps a bit.

any other advice?

How bout one of you suspension gurus just comes over and i'll buy you a six pack?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts