SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 XR650R motard & I recently purchased a lightly used BD e-start kit for it. He sold it because he said that he was riding mainly single tracks & didn't like the feel of the added weight. However, I recently picked up a KTM Duke & it's nice to have the lazy button.

My current piggy w/the HRC power-up kit/Edelbrock is a bit harder to start than my previous one w/out it (or even my older XR600RR) but it generally does w/in 2-4 kicks (if you know what you're doing). Benefits of a kick start only bike is that it acts as a theft deterrent & it's lighter/simpler setup.

Should I just leave it the way it is & offer it as a sale incentive if I ever decide to sell it? Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I always liked the simplicity of kick only bikes, until the shaft breaks (old tired XT350) in the middle of nowhere and you gotta push it out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
E-start is for pussies and old men!!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Don't be a poon!!! Hell I've got a WR450 w/ the lazy button, but I only kickstart it cuz my battery's dead and I'm too lazy to go buy another one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
OK...E-start is for pussies and LAZY old men!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
E start all the way. Pushing a button is way easier. Ever try kick starting a cr 500? Yeah, an easy button would be nice there.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
6,598 Posts
I think it's funny there's still guys out there that live by the "E-start is for pussies" motto. get with the times for crying out loud, ktm and husky already went E-start only on most of their racebikes. not to mention the time and energy riders can save trying to restart their bikes when they go down. E-start for me is not really a necessity but I surely won't turn it down. I prefer both, E-start for ease of use, kickstart as a backup.

@xrmoto, if you got a kit you might as well put it on, unless your completely convinced your bike will get nicked if you do so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In all honesty I havent heard great things about the system. Its a little bit of work to get it on. You need a battery big enough to push it and its aready hard to find a place for a battery on the XRR. You have to pull the flywheel and have the gear pressed on that you get in the kit. It comes with a wider side case so you have to get a different shifter.

I thought about going this route also and after reading some others that had tryed it on ADV I decided against it. I now have my bike jetted right and 1 to 2 kicks is all it takes. I would play with the Elde a bit more. It should be a 2 kick bike with that carb. Make sure the Valves are adjusted. Mine starts hard when they go out a bit. Plus its just cool kickin that thing in a gas station. I have recieved :clap:
before and it makes me feel so:bike:

Hayden

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike starts w/in 1-2 kicks when ridden often. 3-4 kicks if it hasn't been started in a few wks. I'm gonna stick to my original plan & offer it as an option if I ever decide to sell it (doubtful since it's such a riot).

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you leave the bike sit for a while, drain the carb bowl. No matter what carb you have. With all the additives in gas these days, it will evaporate and leave a small air space between the gas and jets. This will inturn make it hard to start. I have a KLX that is very suseptable to this. Drain the bowl and get some fresh gas in there and it fires right up. XRR does it also every once in a while with my stock carb. Depends on how long I let it set.

Hayden

·
Registered
653 Posts
I recently picked up a KTM Duke & it's nice to have the lazy button.
You mean happy button?

FWIW, somebody stealing your bike most likely isn't going to ride it away. They'll toss it in a van or truck and worry about starting/parting it later.

Go E-start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts