SuperMoto Junkie banner

Tires for your street SM

407K views 764 replies 299 participants last post by  BlackPanther 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Haven't used them personnally. I think I read a thread on here or on TT where someone posed the exact question about those tires. As far as I remember, the majority of the replies were along the line of "don't waste your money", and "junk tires". I use Michelin Pilot Powers.:thumbup:

#5 ·
Don't know about the 009 - I had 003s and they were absolute crap. I actually took them off and threw them away before they were even close to worn out because I just couldn't trust them. The front would slide pretty much at random, and I'm slow.

For only $50 more you can get Conti SMs: http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_108_113

#6 ·
Supertireguy put together a nice list of tires for your streetard. If I see one more 'which tire for my sm' thread I'm gonna shoot myself. :rant:

AVON
Storm ST - Sport Touring
Viper - Sport
Viper Extreme - Trackday
Distanzia - Street oriented dual-sport

BRIDGESTONE
BT021 - Sport Touring
BT016 - Sport
BT002 - Trackday

CONTINENTAL
Road Attack - Sport Touring
Sport Attack - Sport
Race Attack - Trackday
Contiforce SM - Supermoto

DUNLOP
D220 Sportmax - Sport-Touring (Last forever but my least favorite tire)
Roadsmart - Sport Touring
Qualifier - Sport
Sportmax GP, D209 or D208GP - Trackday

MAXXIS
Presa - ?
Supermaxx - Sport

METZELER
Z6 Roadtec - Sport Touring
M1 Sportec - Sport (Older but good design and only made in 120, 180 and 190 sizes)
M3 Sportec - Sport
Racetec - Trackday

MICHELIN
Pilot Road - Sport Touring
Pilot Road 2 - Sport Touring (Dual compound technology)
Pilot Power - Sport
Pilot Power 2CT - Sport-Trackday (Dual compound)
Pilot Race - Trackday

PIRELLI
Diablo Strada - Sport Touring
Diablo - Sport
Diablo Rosso - Sport (New)
Diablo Corsa III - Sport-Trackday (Dual compound)
SuperCorsa Pro - Trackday
Diablo SuperCorsa - Trackday (New)

#697 ·
Updated list??

This post is great but is 6 years old, and things have changed, the products and technology are must upgraded and there are fewer options for sumos. Anyone with good knowledge want to take a stab of updating this? A more compact list would be cool too, thx.

#7 · (Edited)
Great list. Couple of thoughts since this has been in the back of my mind for a while.

I would do this if I had the knowledge, but I'm a supermoto novice. How about creating a category list for the tires. The categories could include "Grip on Dry Asphalt" "Grip on Wet Asphalt" "Off Road Use" "Longevity/Wear" for instance.
We could then have a 1 to 5 star rating. 1 Star would = Poor 2= Fair 3= Good 4= Very Good 5= Excellent. A final rating could show value for the money based on average price and the other categories.

Oh, and could we add the Pirelli Scorpion Sync?

Any one else's input?

#8 ·
sorry about the which tire post=/ didnt have time to search

#10 ·
Has anyone run Michelin Pilot Road 2's on their SuMo? The rate at which my Husky eats rears, and the pace of the current economy in Southern California is at odds right now and I am thinking of trying them out. I know that my bike isn't as heavy as a sport touring bike, but i'm sure that I can get enough heat in that rear to make it sticky without too much effort. :D

So, who's tired 'em? Am I gonna regret it?

Just for reference, I've run the Dunlop D208's and Metzler M3's on this bike.

#12 ·
Hey Lammy, try the Pirelli diablo strada. I run this thing on my KTM 625 and I love it. I had the Conti's and ate them up in 3000 miles.

#13 ·
grippy street tire!? what do you recomend?

ok so im thinking of converting a bike to a street supermoto, ktm 525, and was wondering what kind of tire is good for good performance and decent life. Im no idiot, and i know when its sticky, it wears out quickly, and when you go with a long life tire you sacrifice some performance...i currently have a pilot power 2 on my gixxer however only maybe 2 days, and 4 hours tops on the tire, i noticed that the (dual compound) edges were beginning to feather a little, im no nikki hayden, but i use the whole tire, and on a supermoto bike i can see running it even harder, so i guess im looking for your opinion here...

#16 ·
I plan on ordering a set of Goldspeed "cut slicks" ?? for my crf450r in a week or so.

#22 ·
ive got about 2500 on my pirelli diablo strada and the thing looks new still. my conti only lasted 3000 miles before it started coming apart. if you do more communting than canyons i recommend the strada. i only do canyon rides about once a month but the bike is my daily ride.

#23 ·
I'm running a Conti Sport attack in the rear, and I'm pleased with it. My last D208 only lasted 1500 miles and was shot. The Conti has around 1000 miles on it, and still looks fresh. I run lower air (24 psi) to get it to heat up enough, and I'm plenty fast enough for my tastes on the street on it too. I'm currently running it with the Conti Force SM in the front as a combo. The front sticks like glue, but the rear moves around a little more than with a true SM specific tire. But then again, isn't that part of supermoto anyway? :thumbup:

#24 ·
rank these tires by width

Don't flame...there is probably a thread on this but I have searched and searched and can't find it.

Right now I have 160/60/17 Battleaxe tires on 5 in wheels. There are mounted to a wr450 and clearance is a big issue. I bought the bike with these tires but am now looking at getting either Conti's or Pilot Power's....
Which of these tires is more narrow and are they more narrow than the battleaxe tires that are on the bike now? I want to continue to run a 160 but not at the cost of such limited clearance...will either of these tires help or will i have to step to a 150?
Thanks

#26 ·
can someone advise on which tires to get. I just started riding the street, i basicaly comute from home to school and work hitting some curves on the way. But i just cruise them for now.i was thinking the michelin 2ct..... an input is welcome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.