SuperMoto Junkie banner

761 - 765 of 765 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New tires

What tires are you running on Husqvarna sm610 2008? i need some "good for all " touring-sport or just sport tires that i`ll be using in the city most of the time,and in case of some raining,i want my bike to hold the stability (radial ones).I thought of Michelin Pilot street,Pirelli Diablo,Pilot Road 2 or 3,maybe some Metzeler.If you encountered some issues,or have to express your pros on these tires,i`ll be glad to hear.Anyways,i`m open to all suggestions.My riding style is normal,no wheelies,at least not yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was asked how long my Heidenau K73's lasted on my 690SMC. They're approaching the end of their life, so thought I'd give a mini review.

I like a tire that can handle off road trails, as well as street.

I can't give you an accurate distance because my bike's speedo unit is dead, and everyone chews through a set of tires at their own pace, but I'll put it this way: they've lasted about 2/3 the life of the (dual compound) Dunlop's Q3's which is the only other tire that I've had on this bike. They're still going but the wear bar is only a weekend ride away. My rides are 'spirited' and tires don't last. My record was a set in two months of only commuting and weekend rides. Lets just say I avoid Continental tires since.

The Q3's lasted me about 7 months of pretty hard riding and they're dual compound. Our roads were so salty this winter and I was having so much fun sliding around on the combo of bald tires and salt that I held off the K73's until spring, but there was ice on the streets when I mounted them and they were like glue right off the line.

I have a pretty fun 30 km round trip commute thats more of an urban assault ride with some highway, fast corners, some alley short cuts, whoops etc and do this 4-5 times a week plus a couple of good 250 km rides on the weekends per month plus 1-2 1000km weekend rides per summer if that gives you a sense of it. We ride the supermotos up the highway and turn onto logging roads and head up into the mountains, taking trails, crossing rivers, water bars, etc and then ride back to the city, so all conditions.

I used to have a plated CRF450R supermoto in 2005-07 and this 690 is about the same power wise. My 690 for reference is 320 lbs with a full tank, 68 HP and 48 ftlbs torque, so its a tire eater. I also had a DRZ supermoto for years, so I know what I want in a supermoto tire. Dirt and street.

Grip: Sticky right off the line, every time. sticky all the time. Summer heat just makes them slide a little, more like you're just running wide.

Feel: Stable, predicatable even as you lean the bike over to the limit. predictable when spinning up the rear. they move, but it just feels good. Roll over is nice on the 160/60 rear, it doesn't fall, its more of a steady tilt over with steady feel as far as you want to take it. sliding feel is great too- you're aware that its happening, but everything is just stable so you don't worry about it.

Braking: Fairly good. When you have to stop hard things can get a little interesting as you can feel the knobs move a bit and it doesn't have the feeling or braking power of a slick, so a solution when you're coming in a bit too hot is to just kind of drop it down another gear and let the slipper step in a bit and then throttle out and use the tire's knob flex to your advantage and just carry the speed through and it'll slide if it needs to.

Offroad Best inverted tire off-road that I've found. Good traction in almost every condition, and they do fairly good in sticky mud and sand too. Way better than the 8 or so sets of Distanzias that I've run.

Rain: What rain? Its raining? You don't notice it. Grip is almost identical wet or dry. Sticky on icy mornings too.

Lifespan: Okay. Longer than I thought but about 2/3 lifespan of a Q3.

SM fun factor: high as you can drift the rear around easily with torque from knob flex and the lean angles you can get are great. no hesitation attempting the elbow drag corner with this tire

No complaints here other than they might not be the best tire in the summer heat as they do wear faster when its hot out. I was going to switch to more of a slick tire for the summer heat but the grip of these things in the dirt is the best I've found, and my best dirt riding happens in the summer, so I didn't. Two other friends run K73's on their XR650R and 610 supermotos and they love them too.

Overall, I'm going to get another set when these ones go, so I'm happy.
I was looking at the Heidenau K73's. The only issue is they only come in 160/60 r17. I have a 4.25 rim and run a 150/60 r17 distanzia which is shot. How do the K73's compare in width to the distanzia? Do you think I could get away going to the 160 without having the tire bulge on the rim too much? Wish they came in the 150/60 r17

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys has this thread officially died?? How wide are these k73's in the 160 will they work on a 4.25 inch wide rim? I also found a similar tire called a Dunlop sportmaxx mutant that comes in a 150/60r17. It seems they are no longer available in the US. Seems to be in stock in the UK but I need to look into shipping. I currently have worn out distanzias and don't really want to go with the trail riders as of yet. Any help for a "rain tire" I can get in a 150/60. I ride back roads, trails, and dirt nothing wet just dry dirt. Probably 75/25 street vs off road. I dont put on a lot of miles on so I don't care about tread wear. Bike only has 1500 miles in three years

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey guys has this thread officially died?? How wide are these k73's in the 160 will they work on a 4.25 inch wide rim? I also found a similar tire called a Dunlop sportmaxx mutant that comes in a 150/60r17. It seems they are no longer available in the US. Seems to be in stock in the UK but I need to look into shipping. I currently have worn out distanzias and don't really want to go with the trail riders as of yet. Any help for a "rain tire" I can get in a 150/60. I ride back roads, trails, and dirt nothing wet just dry dirt. Probably 75/25 street vs off road. I dont put on a lot of miles on so I don't care about tread wear. Bike only has 1500 miles in three years
I think there's more action over in the Tech/Setup area for this sort of thing. But sure, you can get a 160 on a 4.25. There's plenty of argument as to why you shouldn't, and I won't go into all of that here, mostly that at the edge your tire isn't really supported too well by the rim, and that the profile kinda gets weird, and for me I'm pretty sure I'd get some chain rub on my 05 KTM EXC 525. It's a shame the Mutant isn't available anymore. If you can fit a 160 I'm a fan of both the k73s and the Pirelli MT60RSs, even though they're a little old tech at this point. In 150 you're pretty limited for rain tires in sticky compounds. I'm looking for something to replace my rear Distanzia at some point this summer, soo let me know what you went with and how it worked out.

761 - 765 of 765 Posts