SuperMoto Junkie banner

741 - 760 of 765 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info on here, as I just purchased and installed a new set of tires for my SM. I decided to go with the Metzeler M7RR since I've been hearing that they are a great street tire with pretty good life, and they are decent on the track. On top of that, there is a $40 rebate program going on right now. Unfortunately there wasn't a ton of rider feedback on 'em on the internet regarding use as a supermoto tire, so as I get some mileage on them I can give my impressions if anyone is curious. I took them for a quick spin on some local twistys just now, and I am pretty impressed, but that may just be due to the fact that my old tires were Dunlop D208 SMs from 2008... I wouldn't usually run a tire that old, but the wheel set I bought already had them mounted. We just got some good rain here on the California Cental coast, so there was mud, rocks, wet tar snakes and everything you wouldn't want to see on the road in my way and the tires stuck over everything. Looking forward to taking these to a kart track at some point and really seeing how they stick.

Just to note, the 150 width M7RR is about the same overall width as the 140 Dunlop that it replaced.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info on here, as I just purchased and installed a new set of tires for my SM. I decided to go with the Metzeler M7RR since I've been hearing that they are a great street tire with pretty good life, and they are decent on the track. On top of that, there is a $40 rebate program going on right now. Unfortunately there wasn't a ton of rider feedback on 'em on the internet regarding use as a supermoto tire, so as I get some mileage on them I can give my impressions if anyone is curious. I took them for a quick spin on some local twistys just now, and I am pretty impressed, but that may just be due to the fact that my old tires were Dunlop D208 SMs from 2008... I wouldn't usually run a tire that old, but the wheel set I bought already had them mounted. We just got some good rain here on the California Cental coast, so there was mud, rocks, wet tar snakes and everything you wouldn't want to see on the road in my way and the tires stuck over everything. Looking forward to taking these to a kart track at some point and really seeing how they stick.

Just to note, the 150 width M7RR is about the same overall width as the 140 Dunlop that it replaced.
I'm on my 3rd set of M7RRs now. I'll be using these for the foreseeable future.

Recomended them to a couple of other locals on sumos and nobody has had anything negative to say about them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please help me find street tires

Hey everybody im still new to this supermoto stuff and i just bought a 1993 honda xr250l so i need some help on where start looking for street tires and rims that would fit my bike, also if anybody has some that they would like to sell please let know!
thanks
ps also looking to buy on the cheaper sdie of things so not looking to spend more than 500

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey everybody im still new to this supermoto stuff and i just bought a 1993 honda xr250l so i need some help on where start looking for street tires and rims that would fit my bike, also if anybody has some that they would like to sell please let know!
thanks
ps also looking to buy on the cheaper sdie of things so not looking to spend more than 500
Welcome
Doing it for $500 is going to be tough.
I sent a set of hubs from my 93 XR250L off and had a set of new hoops laced up so I could run Avon Disstanzas.
I'm still having trouble with PB, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
thanks
If you don't find a cheap used wheel set,

Probably the cheapest and easiest way to get a wheel set is to take apart the wheels that you've got and re-use the hubs and get new spokes cut from a place like Buchanan in California and then find an used set of 17" excel rims on the internet or around. ask around and see what you should be looking for, hole pattern wise and hunt used. or Buchanan can drill a blank rim to match your hub. if you go used, look for anything in spec, regardless of color. they could be an anodized gold front and you find a black pow coat rear; just sand blast, polish and you can get them re powder coated or anodized any color you want. then find tires.

but

I really gotta say for your personal well being, with the SM tires you can easily carry way more corner speed, and you will be going much faster through corners than you can on knobbies. Consider your brakes. Adding a stainless line or getting an adaptor machined to let you put on a larger than stock front rotor 300-320mm could save your life one day on the street (or some broken bones or ground joints). The big brake allows you to have way more fun on a weekend ride too, as you can go far deeper into the turns with way more speed than you'll be accustomed to on the SM wheels, so you can get in over your head quickly. the big brake allows you to come back from the edge...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I came to this thread to ask the same question.

Once the 150/60 is back in stock in Canadaland, I'll be buying a set for the WR450.

But.. I don't live near many twisty roads, nor do I go to a track.

So my opinion of them will be pretty much useless.

They look awesome, and the reviews seem good on sport bikes, so might as well... I liked the Pilot Power 2CTs I had on my DRZ and on my Husaberg 550, so I'm sure the Power RS are even better.

EDIT: I ordered some anyway, $280 Canadian Pesos for the set, replacing 10 year old Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires.. they sat in a garage for years, came on the wheels I bought last year, they make me quite uncomfortable.
The tires are finally available.

Mine will be shipping in a couple days here.

2 Month delay is a little insane, hope they're good!

EDIT May 16: They're in the mail officially. I still want to convert my Excel rims to tubeless, better collect some valve stems and suitable tape.

EDIT May 17: Arrived, they look super awesome, can't wait to mount them!

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi guys

Any one has experience or feed back about Pirelli mt 60 ?
I've never tried them but I seem to remember that they are a true rain tire for the track. If I remember correctly people loved them on the street as they are sticky but they had an extremely short life on the street or in dry conditions as they weren't designed for that environment or to have longevity. The Heidenau K73s physically look pretty similar but have more of a street oriented rubber compound which wears much much better. I love my set but I'm considering that new Power RS for the summer heat and saving these for the fall

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice

Nice.....Got mine all mounted up.

The tires are finally available.

Mine will be shipping in a couple days here.

2 Month delay is a little insane, hope they're good!

EDIT May 16: They're in the mail officially. I still want to convert my Excel rims to tubeless, better collect some valve stems and suitable tape.

EDIT May 17: Arrived, they look super awesome, can't wait to mount them!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
What kind of tyres would you boys recommend for me? 100% on road. Want something pretty sticky. 5k miles on a set would be nice, but I can go lower if it's the right tyre.

Not for track use, just goonin' the burbs, smashing twisties, doing wheelies, jumping stairs. All that nonsense. Don't want something that I've gotta ride the balls off to keep warm.

I see so many people picking supermoto specific tyres. Can you run sportbike tyres on a supermoto as long as you can find the sizes? Or is there something I'm missing?

I was thinking maybe S21s or Rosso 3s or something but I don't see many people running them.

What tyre sizes would you recommend for an XR650R? I think I'm running a 4.25 in the rear, but I can't remember, so I'll probably stick with a 150.

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have Rosso III and only been riding street. They seem really grippy and I'm able to hit it hard after a few minutes on the road. I tone it down when it rains, but it seems to do pretty good when wet.

I would've gone Q3 because I liked them when I had my sport bike, but I wanted to try something new and more "road oriented".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have Rosso III and only been riding street. They seem really grippy and I'm able to hit it hard after a few minutes on the road. I tone it down when it rains, but it seems to do pretty good when wet.

I would've gone Q3 because I liked them when I had my sport bike, but I wanted to try something new and more "road oriented".
What kind of mileage do you get out of them? What bike do you have them on?

·
Registered
110 Posts
What kind of mileage do you get out of them? What bike do you have them on?
I just put them on 2 months ago and about 1000 miles of use. Still have a lot of rubber on them.

It's on a KTM 690 Enduro R, 17x3.5 front with 120/70-17 and 17x5 inch rear with 160/60-17.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try the Michelin Pilot Road lineup. That's your best bet for grip and getting anywhere near 5000 miles from a set. I usually get about 1200 miles from the Pilot Powers.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-4-trail-tires?gclid=CI7ho6PrmdQCFYY2gQodaFAFVA
Not interested in PR4s. I've got them on my SV.

They're alright. They do the job. Great in the wet, great mileage, but I probably won't buy them again. People report getting 12-15k out of them and I just don't need that, not on my commuter and especially not on a sumo. I do like 5k miles a year split up between loads of bikes and my commute is like 3 miles each way. I'm totally ok with changing my tyres every year or two years, so I'd rather go for something a lot stickier.

I'll never wear my PR4s out before I sell the SV, but when I buy a supersport to replace it, I'm probably gonna put S21s on it or Rosso 3s.

If I had a long commute, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I see so many people picking supermoto specific tyres. Can you run sportbike tyres on a supermoto as long as you can find the sizes? Or is there something I'm missing?
Yes you can run sport bike tires on a SM. The reason people buy the SM specific tires is that the rubber compounds are generally a little softer on the SM specific ones due to the fact that they're designed to be on a bike that's generally about 100 lbs lighter than a 600cc sport bike, and ridden at slower speeds.

If you want a good commuter tire with long life get something designed for a sport bike; feeling-wise, the rubber will generally be a little cold, so you have to work it a bit harder to make it sticky on warmer days, where as supermoto specific tires like my K73s are 'hot' right off the line, you can just hang the bike around corners immediately. I'll get back to you on lifespan lol in the summer heat, but they were great in the spring when it was around freezing.

on a hot summer day there's not much of a difference, but when the sun drops in the evenings or its a cold spring or fall day you'll feel the difference more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
supermoto specific tires like my K73s are 'hot' right off the line, you can just hang the bike around corners immediately. I'll get back to you on lifespan lol in the summer heat, but they were great in the spring when it was around freezing.

I was asked how long my Heidenau K73's lasted on my 690SMC. They're approaching the end of their life, so thought I'd give a mini review.

I like a tire that can handle off road trails, as well as street.

I can't give you an accurate distance because my bike's speedo unit is dead, and everyone chews through a set of tires at their own pace, but I'll put it this way: they've lasted about 2/3 the life of the (dual compound) Dunlop's Q3's which is the only other tire that I've had on this bike. They're still going but the wear bar is only a weekend ride away. My rides are 'spirited' and tires don't last. My record was a set in two months of only commuting and weekend rides. Lets just say I avoid Continental tires since.

The Q3's lasted me about 7 months of pretty hard riding and they're dual compound. Our roads were so salty this winter and I was having so much fun sliding around on the combo of bald tires and salt that I held off the K73's until spring, but there was ice on the streets when I mounted them and they were like glue right off the line.

I have a pretty fun 30 km round trip commute thats more of an urban assault ride with some highway, fast corners, some alley short cuts, whoops etc and do this 4-5 times a week plus a couple of good 250 km rides on the weekends per month plus 1-2 1000km weekend rides per summer if that gives you a sense of it. We ride the supermotos up the highway and turn onto logging roads and head up into the mountains, taking trails, crossing rivers, water bars, etc and then ride back to the city, so all conditions.

I used to have a plated CRF450R supermoto in 2005-07 and this 690 is about the same power wise. My 690 for reference is 320 lbs with a full tank, 68 HP and 48 ftlbs torque, so its a tire eater. I also had a DRZ supermoto for years, so I know what I want in a supermoto tire. Dirt and street.

Grip: Sticky right off the line, every time. sticky all the time. Summer heat just makes them slide a little, more like you're just running wide.

Feel: Stable, predicatable even as you lean the bike over to the limit. predictable when spinning up the rear. they move, but it just feels good. Roll over is nice on the 160/60 rear, it doesn't fall, its more of a steady tilt over with steady feel as far as you want to take it. sliding feel is great too- you're aware that its happening, but everything is just stable so you don't worry about it.

Braking: Fairly good. When you have to stop hard things can get a little interesting as you can feel the knobs move a bit and it doesn't have the feeling or braking power of a slick, so a solution when you're coming in a bit too hot is to just kind of drop it down another gear and let the slipper step in a bit and then throttle out and use the tire's knob flex to your advantage and just carry the speed through and it'll slide if it needs to.

Offroad Best inverted tire off-road that I've found. Good traction in almost every condition, and they do fairly good in sticky mud and sand too. Way better than the 8 or so sets of Distanzias that I've run.

Rain: What rain? Its raining? You don't notice it. Grip is almost identical wet or dry. Sticky on icy mornings too.

Lifespan: Okay. Longer than I thought but about 2/3 lifespan of a Q3.

SM fun factor: high as you can drift the rear around easily with torque from knob flex and the lean angles you can get are great. no hesitation attempting the elbow drag corner with this tire

No complaints here other than they might not be the best tire in the summer heat as they do wear faster when its hot out. I was going to switch to more of a slick tire for the summer heat but the grip of these things in the dirt is the best I've found, and my best dirt riding happens in the summer, so I didn't. Two other friends run K73's on their XR650R and 610 supermotos and they love them too.

Overall, I'm going to get another set when these ones go, so I'm happy.

741 - 760 of 765 Posts