SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
The cost of an inverter to run that much wattage, provided you can find one that does that much off a 12v DC system, would cost just as much if not more than a used or chinese new generator. My suggestion- pick up an EU1000 or EU2000 Honda gennie or Yamaha equivalent. I have an EU1000 that the previous owner claimed to have run about 500 hours, had never changed the oil or maintained it. I tuned it and have run it quite a bit. I even let it sit for over a year with gas in it and it fired right up on the second pull. They are quiet enough to keep within 5 feet of your pit and well worth the investment. Need a good reason to convince your better half? They work well in a storm to power lights and stuff in the event of a power outage!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Tire warmers draw a lot of current so I don't think you want to even try to run it from your truck. The inverter type generators are sweet if you can afford one. Light weight and quiet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yes you can run them with an inverter you will need to run your truck the whole time though or you batter will die almost instantly. My setup is sprinter van with two batteries. Aims power 3000W pure sine wave inverter (about $1000). will run the warmers all day long as long as the van is running. You likely don't need the pure sine wave part its for running variable speed tools. truck stops are a decent source for cheap inverters. Likely easier to buy a gennie just depends on what other uses you might have for it.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
700 watts/12 volts= 58.3 amps. If you only have a 60 amp alternator it will drain the battery even with the vehicle running.

·
Registered
195 Posts
yes you can run them with an inverter you will need to run your truck the whole time though or you batter will die almost instantly. My setup is sprinter van with two batteries. Aims power 3000W pure sine wave inverter (about $1000). will run the warmers all day long as long as the van is running. You likely don't need the pure sine wave part its for running variable speed tools. truck stops are a decent source for cheap inverters. Likely easier to buy a gennie just depends on what other uses you might have for it.

Dude for the cost of that conversion to any standard truck youcould buy two used Honda gen's! Although for camping or having a bitchin' 70's van (yes I am old enough to remember) that would be the best setup!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
CSTEM is right, buy used generator and don't mess with your only means of transportation home from the track. That would really suck having a dead battery when you go to leave the track.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Lookin at the biketek tire socks and they use 1000W total, would the EU1000i (120V @ 8.3A) be enough for that or would I be constantly blowing fuses?

·
Registered
287 Posts
It can be done. I have seen it done, but one of my buddies ways ending up costing more than a generator but he wanted the power for other things as well. He installed several extra deep cycle batteries my buddy used 4 750 amp deep cycle marine batteries and added a extra alternator to keep them charged this was in addition to the 2 batteries he already had, its a diesel truck ^ total. Then he hooked them up to 2 big power inverters similar to those listed in the link below. He did all this to power on kick ass stereo system and he also ran a small mig and arc welder on the trail. He was a 4X4 club fix it guy, he went overkill but it worked for just about any electronics and most didn't require him to run his truck while doing so. If your like the rest of us the inverter below would give you enough juice, just keep the truck running and might keep jumper cables handy just in case you kill the battery. But in theory with a 60 amp alternator running and if you only pull 58 amps should not kill the battery good luck hope this link helps. :bannana::bannana:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/power-inverters/2000-watt-continuous-4000-watt-peak-power-inverter-95596.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts