SuperMoto Junkie banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Odd tire wear

Gary,
These are a couple pics from my drz after a track day that I attended. I am running a Contiforce SM and this is what it looked like afterward. It seems to be peeling. I know it is not a track specific tire, but there was another guy that rides there a lot with a drz and contiforces and his tire was wearing just fine. Nothing even remotely like mine was. I'm thinking that maybe I got bad rubber or something. Maybe the tire was overheating? I have no idea. I was running hard laps (for me) and around 22-24psi cold on a go kart track. Any idea what it might be?

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Looks like feathering. Means you're getting em real hot and using them hard. You'll see the super soft dunnies do that pretty fast on hot days too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gary,
These are a couple pics from my drz after a track day that I attended. I am running a Contiforce SM and this is what it looked like afterward. It seems to be peeling. I know it is not a track specific tire, but there was another guy that rides there a lot with a drz and contiforces and his tire was wearing just fine. Nothing even remotely like mine was. I'm thinking that maybe I got bad rubber or something. Maybe the tire was overheating? I have no idea. I was running hard laps (for me) and around 22-24psi cold on a go kart track. Any idea what it might be?
it looks like your tires are pretty old by the dry rotting in the sipes. i dont know if that plays a factor or not but it also looks like the tire is over heating (pressure too low, more contact patch, more heat) and melting. it doesnt look like tearing from cold tearing (over inflated tire, less contact patch, less heat). the stress in the smaller contact patch is what tears the tire. warming up the tire while riding is different than the heat produced by hard cornering. Dave Moss is a pro in tire wear and suspension. By looking at your tire you can tell if you have a suspension problem or pressure problem, usually both are the issue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JutNhZw1TB0

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't run a race compound/slick on the street. You will never get them up to the temperature that they need to be.
I just bought a set of excel 17's and they had Dunlop slicks on them that were in pretty good shape. Being the cheap person I am I figured why not run them to nothing before I go and buy a set of street tires.

(I am running a wr450 on the street. No track use...yet.)

I will say they are correct in saying that it is hard to get the tires up to temp on the street. When first starting out you can feel them slip a tiny bit if I try and corner too hard but after about 10 or 15 minutes they get pretty hot and corner well. They are not ideal for the road but in my instance they work fine and I have even had them offroad on gravel and dirt and they work fine. No mud.

So yes they are not the tire you want to buy if you are riding street but if you have a nice set sitting around it doesnt hurt to try them.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts