in my application in order to take the 510 for a few laps. If the
bug bites, I will spring for slicks and warmers latter. Right now I
just want to get out there and ride! Novice / Vet 45 ???:bike:

Rob

07 510 SMR

·
Registered
901 Posts
none, you could use rains,or use slicks groove em',then use on the street,dot's don't ever warm up corectly, and are made heavier bikes so don't really generate enough grip,

·
Registered
310 Posts
For the novice class, just about any tire will work for you. At that level (mine btw, so I'm not putting anyone down), it's 95% rider. A true race slick will give you better traction on the pavement, but the rider's skill is the important factor. The Vet classes are a whole different thing. Those guys are FAST! On the plus side, the classes tend to be smaller and there aren't nearly as many crashes.

Specific tire suggestions? If you can afford it, get a set of SM specific race slicks, and change them out when you head back out to the street. If not, use whatever tire you're comfortable with on the street. I liked the Conti SM tire on my DRZ, and the tread pattern may work better than a slick on the dirt.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been running Dunlop SM slicks on the street, just put a few grooves in them to make the cops happy, they work just fine. The cost factor really is not more then a pair of dot's, dunlop gp's $300 SM slicks $350 Its worth the confidence you gain on the track.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no problem with slicks, street and cops. Here's my deal,
I duel-sport with Distanzies and still have the stock 208s
like new. What tire would be better to burn up the first time out, before I go to SM slicks? :headscrat

Any input on safety wiring the Husky would be good.
Do I have to catch all filter covers? or just drain plug.
I just ordered sliders and catch can from SME.
All lights have been removed, can I use the front
headlight plate with 4" numbers? I want to leave
the dashboard on for the 1st time out.

Thanks for the input:thumbup:

Rob

40 years riding, awhile since I have raced

SMUSA# ???

07 510 SMR

·
Registered
901 Posts
pick one,one half dozen versus the other

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rob,

If you are planning on racing either of those classes that you listed you will definitely need slicks. If you are going to run DOT tires enter the beginner class and go with the 208s. Run your pressures at about 24 psi. Keep in mind that you will have a tough time getting these tires hot enough to provide a proper level of grip plus the compounds are designed for the street not for the track so be careful.

I highly recommend that you run slicks. For max tire life go with the Dunlop slick soft front medium rear compounds, for optimum grip run the supersoft front and soft rear. You can always wait until you get to the races to decide to switch to slicks. Stop by Mammoth Motorsports we will have the tire machine and plenty of supermoto slicks with us.

To pass tech you will need to saftey wire any single bolt that has fluid behind it(oil plug, fill plug, dipstick, radiator cap. Install axle, peg and bar end sliders, and a catch can for all fluid overflow(carbs, coolant, breather). I also suggest putting RTV silicon on all hose clamps and any inspection cover that cannot be saftey wired.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts