SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am going to be running AFM formula singles this season. I am looking into my options for rubber. I was thinking about running the dunlop 209s but I'm looking for more options. Just to clarify Im riding a '04 625 SMC. 120 front, 160 rear, and there is NO dirt on these tracks, I'm a fool who is too afraid of injury to ride real supermoto track, or to ride a real road racing bike on a road course. Thanks, hope to see some other supermotos on the grid at AFM.

~scott

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think t black round,tires that hold air should be sufficent ,625's are so slow I think you could actually run Shinko's with out risk of death and still ride em' home..

·
Registered
53 Posts
I might race my CRF450 at Buttonwillow and Infineon, but I'm not so sure about Thunderhill - those long straights are pretty rough on a 450 and they're also kind of boring...

As far as tires, I plan on using regular Michelin supermoto tires and I agree that slicks may be a better choice since the construction of DOTs is meant for much heavier bikes... although a 625 is a wee-bit heavier than a CRF450. :D

For AFM vendors, if you want to use Michelins you can contact me.
If you want to use Dunlops call my good friend Terry Newby (contact info at www.sporttire.com)
I'm not sure if anyone else brings supermoto tires to AFM races, but I'm pretty sure Shinko is not...

Good luck!

·
Registered
901 Posts
hey bibman I was being facitious ...I told him to run Shinko's get it ..haha

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I might race my CRF450 at Buttonwillow
Hey Alex, I was thinking about running my CRF too at BW, but am too fat to fit into my 1 piece leathers anymore. :headshake

Have you ran there before and what gearing did you run? I'm guessing around 14-42?

Maybe I'll see you there. Dinner on me Saturday night if do. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
U should run slicks for the most grip, 250GP stuff is sticky. What size are your wheels?
5"x17" out back...not sure up front, but its the standard size....I hear good things about your place, I'm a friend of Jim Davis. I'll have to just try some different stuff out.

Thanks for the advice from all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
you are right, or maybe they won't be so technical so I'll have more of chance- everytime I catch up to the guy in front of me we hit the damn dirt again!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
And thanks for the nice things you said Alex- you made me blush!!

If you know of anyone with a good road race bike in need of a rider, let me know...

·
Registered
901 Posts
or a young single daughter

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to share my experience with the Continental SM tires.

NOT FOR ROAD COURSE USE, I cooked them like crazy and got bucked off in turn 10 at infineon, lucky to walk away from an 80+ mph high side with no real injuries and only bent bars...

·
Registered
901 Posts
you said Continental didn't you , I think Shinko's are step up , or just ride the rim either way you'll have more traction....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll be running AFM Round 2 at Infineon. Good to see more motards coming out as well. I'll be a NFG.

As for tyres. Run proper roadracing slicks. I run Pirelli slicks. Supersoft front and soft rear. Front tyres last forever on a motard. One maybe two per season roadracing. Rears... well rears you can cook in a day depending how you ride it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
how long did you say your front's last !?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts