SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods.....can we get a sticky for new guy with tire questions? I can specifically help with 14/12 & 12/12.
I'm NOT talking a big opinion biased post about what tires are better than these tires. I'm talking mounting, tire pressures, entry level wheel options (can I use my 14"?) etc, etc......
I've replied to these questions probably 20+ times, (which I don't mind, or I wouldn't reply!), but a sticky would be a nice touch!!!

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Great Idea.................Hereyago...

·
Registered
120 Posts
ok here the first question
i am running 120/70/17 front and back michlein cut slicks on my 150r what r the norm cold tire pressure on those tires

then what kind of tire to put on a xr 70 front it a 14 in rim 2.5 i think the rim said?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Iv ordered them before, but not the slicks, i would be interested as well. Any one want to be a test dummy?
~Shawn @ BMS

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
If only I could stop pinching freaking tubes on the 12's :rant:
Thats easy. :)

After you insert the tube, and before you seat the second bead, fill the tube with air. Then take the valve core out and let the tube deflate, then put the valve core back in. There will be enough air left in the tube to keep it out of the way of your irons. Use spoons too, instead of skinny irons. The spoons have a rounded leading edge, where most irons are squared. If in doubt, a shot of windex or 409 on the tube/tire will let the tube slip away from the spoons better and lets the bead slip over the rim easier.

Another little trick to avioding a flat is to dust the inside of the tire and the outside of the tube with cornstarch. That keeps the two from sticking together. If the tire and tube stick together the tube can tear.Keeping the tube from sticking to the tire reduces heat, at least that is what I think is happening, seems to work for me anyways.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered Avon Vyper Strykes for my KLX from my buddies shop cause I got a good deal on them, is a 120/70-12 and a 120/90-14 gonna fit on my stock rims?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
hate to say this but those Venoms are terrible.......... at least from watching people trying to use use them, not sticky, do not heat up well, slide out and low side you,....... Just my limited experience:rolleyes:

Good luck with them:arsenal

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a set of the Heidenau 12" slicks. The 120/70-12 rear has to be mounted on atleast a 3" wide rim. I took it to a race and sold it to a guy that put it on a 150r with a 3" wide rim and he said it worked better than the Dunlop tt92 by far. He took first place int place with it. I am going to try the 100/90-12 front and rear on my 110

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a DRZ and am runing a 16 rear and 17 front. Stock rims until I have money for real rims. I have no idea what dimension or type of tire to buy. I need it for track and parking lots until I can afford rims. Thanks for any help. I was recommended bridgestones but can't find the 17 front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noob tire question

Hi all,
Trying to get the kids bikes set-up so they can try this out at CMP next month. Found the SEMRA tech insp sheet so I'm good there but need some help in the tire dept.

Keeping in mind that I'm not trying to set them up as the next V. Rossi but rather give them a chance to experience it and go from there....

I was thinking of using these IRC MB-38 80/90-10 on both front and rear of the stock PW50 wheels. From what I understand, they should fit. Any input??
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/15033/ITEM/IRC-MB-38-Front---Rear-Scooter-Tire.aspx

On the daughters TTR90 (stock wheels), I like the suggestion of SUPERMOTO594 to use this 80/90-14 for the front http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/20925/ITEM/IRC-NR77-Rear-Scooter-Tire.aspx

Anyone know a good matching compound for the rear? 90/90-12 or maybe a 100/90-12??
I've never liked mixing tires front to rear on my streetbikes as I like to have the same feedback front and rear but not sure it matters as much for the inexperienced on these bikes?

Def looking to keep it on the best value for the dollar (vs fastest thing out there)

Thanks so much for the help folks!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
get a Pilot sport for the front as mentioned and a 100/90-12" TT92 front and put it out back......... the profile will be fine for a first timer kid.......

My daughter runs the fronts out back all the time...... she likes the quicker steering.... unless we are on a long fast track...... then the rear 120/70-12" is better.........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,

I was wondering if a 100/90-19 would fit on to a stock DRZ125L rim. Hopefully be able to squeeze it on, to have a little fun this weekend.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts