SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any recomondations on a a set of good tires for racing. would i need both fronts tires. rim sizes are2.5x17 front and 3.5 x17 rear. this is for an 2003 rm85. :hmmm: also what would be a good gearing size to start out with. stock is 14/47 on 14" rim. any advise or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
310 Posts
your best option (in my opinion) is to run 125gp slicks in the softest compounds available. I run dunlop soft compound on my bikes on pavement only tracks. If you run in dirt as well and are made of money you could run rain tires as well.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Deffinantly the slicks, unless ofcoarse you are running on dirt also. If you need tires pm me, my teamate has both slicks and rain tires that are brand new that he is willing to sell due to the fact that we both transfered to 12's this year. Vee Rubber slicks, Dunlop slicks and Michelin rain tires!!! The all are the best:thumbup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deffinantly the slicks, unless ofcoarse you are running on dirt also. If you need tires pm me, my teamate has both slicks and rain tires that are brand new that he is willing to sell due to the fact that we both transfered to 12's this year. Vee Rubber slicks, Dunlop slicks and Michelin rain tires!!! The all are the best:thumbup:
there is a dirt section , i was thinking possibly the dunlop slicks. but dont i need both front tires .

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have known of some to run slicks on a 70/30 track, but i wouldn't recomend it. I stricktly roadrace motards and last year I ran Dulop slicks and couldn't have asked for a better tire:thumbup: However, if you are riding on a 70/30 track I wouldn't recommend runnig slicks. (just my opinion though)

Get some more opinions and see what other people recommend, and when you get ready to purchase tires I would be glad to help you out:thumbup:

Also, i need to correct myself, the Vee Rubbers are new, the Dunlops are ever so slightly used (still have alot of life on them). He ran a set of Vee Rubbers on a KX80 last year and they were super sticky!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have known of some to run slicks on a 70/30 track, but i wouldn't recomend it. I stricktly roadrace motards and last year I ran Dulop slicks and couldn't have asked for a better tire:thumbup: However, if you are riding on a 70/30 track I wouldn't recommend runnig slicks. (just my opinion though)

Get some more opinions and see what other people recommend, and when you get ready to purchase tires I would be glad to help you out:thumbup:

Also, i need to correct myself, the Vee Rubbers are new, the Dunlops are ever so slightly used (still have alot of life on them). He ran a set of Vee Rubbers on a KX80 last year and they were super sticky!!
i ran on a sport moto setup last year michilin pilot slick in the front and michilin in the rear and had no problems in the dirt section. dont get me wrong it wasnt nothing like having nobbies but was nt as bad as id expected. i was just wandering because alot run the slicks at the tracks with dirt section. plus pretty much every pro rider you see are on slicks

·
Registered
647 Posts
You do have a point there. I don't ride on pavement/dirt course so i don't really know what it's like. If you need some slicks let me know:thumbup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are the stock rim sizes of 125gp bikes you will have no problem getting good tires in that size.

I recomend http://www.barebones.net/tires.htm if you want bridgestones.
thanks i just ordered some 125gp tires in soft compound. man the only thing that worries me is i dont have the big wheel model and it doesnt look as if its going to fit. i dont know the diamater of those tires , but with the axle all the way back ihave a measurement of 11 13/16 from the middle of axle to middle of swingarm where that mud flap thing is. meaning with tired installed on the rim the biggest diameter would be 23 5/8 . has anyone every measured the diameter on the whole tire. worse case senario would be to put a 85l swing arm, but i think i would have to change the axle as well. im trying to avoid this due to all the cash i have dumped into this project. if anyone knows please let me know.:bike:

·
Registered
647 Posts
2 pair of Michelinn GP125 slicks $200 a pair plus shipping,1 set of Bridgestone GP 125 slicks $250 plus shipping, 1 pair of Michelin GP125 rain tires $100 plus shipping:thumbup: the shipping will be the actual shipping cost

1 - 12 of 12 Posts