SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to this site i have a ktm 640 supermoto, shes strictly a street tard.

now i have 17" wheels and have gone threw two rear tires since march of this year, the first one was a metzler m3, the current one is a michilen power race (mediem). now the metzler was on it when i bought it so i don't know the real mileage but this michelin is allmost on the wear bars in the center and i have only had it on the bike for less than three weeks.

now i have put about 6k kms on it this year so it gets its fare share of riding on a day to day basis.

now i guess what my real question is this, should my tires wear out this fast? now i don't do burnouts or anything like that they just seem to keep wearing out in the center.

should i switch to a differnt type of tire for my riding? i mean i have been riding dirt bike my whole life and i get that thing over pritty far touch the foot pegs sometimes i mean.

im just not shure what to think about this whole thing any help or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated, cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would recommend a Pilot Power sports if your rear is a 160+ becaue you can get a dual compound tire, harder in the center so this doesnt happen, but still very have a grippy tire when you are leaned over.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i have gotten about 2200 out of the set of pirelli dragon supercorsa pro's that came on my 690 and expect to get another 300 or so miles out of them. i don't do any burnouts either. next i'm going to be trying the conti-force sm tires but from what i hear they also wear pretty quickly.

price is of course a corncern but i'd rather pay a little more and have a tire that really grips. but really the price of the conti-force tires are not that bad at all.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Whoever told you to put a Powerrace on a streettard should be shot, a Pilot power will last waaay longer or a pilot road even longer, but the Pilot power is what I run on my Duke and I like everything about that tire on the street.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
2k-5k miles for a front tire is normal depending on the specific tire, pressures and use.

2k-3k miles for a rear tire is normal depending on the specific tire, pressures and use. The rear tire takes most of the abuse.

When discussing tire performance and wear please include the tire pressure numbers being used.

If you ride alot of straight roads then tires will tend to wear down in the center, go figure. In these cases it might be worth trying a sport-touring tire. ST tires are good and grippy for most activities short of hard cornering track use.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well to add a little more info, i run 32psi in the front and 34 psi in the rear as prescribed from the dealership. i wheigh about 185.

i had tryed to order the pilot power but it was unavalible from the online company i was buying from and the guy on the phone asured me that the power race was very similar.

needless to say from what i have heard so far on here i am not going to be buying from them anymore.

anyone know a good site to buy tires from like the pilot power tire you guys are talking about?

also my tire sizes are rear-160/60/17 and front-120/60/17. but my front tire seems to have a very low profile in comparison to the rear should i go with a 70 on the front to get a little taller tire?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have a set of Conti Road Attacks. They have over 7k mi. The rear is due for replacement the front will last until I use up another rear. tp is 30 front 29 rear. The bike is a KTM 625 SMC, I ride it to work every day 60+ mi. We don't have very many twisties here in the great north west(of Florida) and my daily comute is 75mph hwy and city streets. I am very pleased with these tires for my daily driver. I've never had the bike on a track to compare stickyness to any other tires and don't plan to.
~Tim

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I thought the stock front tire size for the KTM 640SM was supposed to be a 120/70/17. :headscrat I would try for the 120/70/17 front size next time you buy tires.

Your 32-34psi tire pressures are in the reasonable ballpark. Might be worth experimenting with pressures in the 26-30psi neighborhood. See what feels better to you. 22psi is about as low as we go with supermoto track tires.

Michelin Pilot Power, Continental Conti-SM or Sport Attack, Pirelli Diablo Rosso or MT60-R Corsa, Avon Viper or ProXtreme Rain, Bridgestone BT016, Dunlop Qualifier, Metzeler M3 Sportec, etc all good choices. No one tire is really best. Mostly just personal preference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thanks for all the help guys it has helped my alot with selecting tires and what kindas to look for, i am gona have to play with tire pressues also.

thanks again, cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts