SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and SVmango already discussed this but since then I've gotten way too much conflicting advice...and so now of course I'm asking for even more. :eek:

We're doing a track day this weekend with our street-tards and I didn't want to shred my new Avon Distanzias so I went to the shed looking for the best pair of take-offs I had.

What I found was a pair of Conti-Forces from a year and a half ago that still have a 1/16" of thread or so til the wear-bars and remembered liking them well enough before I started running the Distanzias for all the dirt we do.

The conflicting advice I get is about tire age. The front and rear have manufacture dates of '04 and '05 respectively if I'm even reading Continentals hieroglyphics right. Some say don't ride on anything over three years old and others say that's a race tire rule and street tires are made to last longer knowing they won't be heated to the same extreme and the manufacture knows they can be on the bike a whole lot longer.

So what's the word on older street tires for the track when they look fine (no dry-rot) but are three and four years old.

·
Banned
900 Posts
yes you get less grip with older tires but really you guys most likely arent that fast so it doesnt matter

if you race all the time sure it makes a difference

look at it this way-the faster you want to go the better tires you need

·
Mullet Lord
3,302 Posts
I have conflicting opinions on this topic. Two weeks ago I would have told you to run the tires without thinking twice about it. Now, sitting on a couch in a cast with a screw holding my tibia and fibula together, I don't think I would advise you to run them. Old take off tires are hard to beat as far as price goes, but keep in mind, when they let go, they LET GO. It all boils down to how hard you ride and how much you push on the track. I have a tendency to ride just a little over my head in order to get faster. I've crashed more times than I care to admit, but up until this last one, I haven't been bitten too hard.

Bottom line:
If you're just going out there to have fun and play around, you probably won't have any problems running the tires you describe. If you plan on riding hard and aggressively, spend the extra money and think of it as insurance.

Just my .02 worth, hope it is of some value to ya.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Davi makes a good point! Another option is running your distansia's, you wont shred those in one day, they will get fully scrubbed in on the sides (great bragging rights!). If you run them normally as streetbikes the tires are usually wearing in the middle unless you live in some dreamland with 50 turns in 5 miles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
not a huge fan of old take-offs, I'd run the avons...at least u'll learn more about the tires you use everyday.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
I wouldn't run old shit for anything....I agree with Davi.....
as for the Distanzia's .....awesome tire and very soft....a day at the track will pretty much use up those tires.....buy some track tires only new......yank em off the wheels when the bike goes back to street...safe for you and safe for the guys around you....I'd be pissed If someone took me out because of crappy used old piles of rubber...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I won a race in 2006 on tires that were made in 2002.

Sure, fresher tires are best, but very few of us mortals can use all that a tire offers.

If you're running older tires, run them easy to start and gradually see how hard you can push them. Ride smooth and just have fun. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
+1!

Use the safety equipment that is in the helmet and go easy at first! It's a freaking track day, not a race!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Goose,

Call me after 6:30am. I had to stop by the house last night. I'm gonna

throw the slicks and DOTs in the van. I could drop them off this afternoon around 2 or 3ish.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate everyones concerns for safety but JetCity and MXCat's responses probably best describe using take-offs for playing at a track-day vs. all-out racing. Besides these Contis were just on my bike last spring ('07) and were fine then.

I'll not only start slow and use caution but we plan on bringing some other take-off slicks too and can change 'em around if needed.

Hey Mango, let's bring greenpea on our next mondo mountainous uber twisty epic ride and he can wait for us at all the gas stops so we can catch up. :lol:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well everyone can relax even more now,
I took the used Contis off in favor of some Pirelli SuperCorsa's....still take-off's but 10 times the tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts