SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just went through 2 sets of brand new tubes installing the tires, and now I need to replace another one. I was so careful with putting on these tires, but still managed to get a puncture in the tube. I've installed plenty of tubeless tires, but these little 12" tires with tubes are giving me headache. Are there any specific tire irons that I should be using for tubed tires? Any tricks, besides lots of soap and being careful?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Do you have a tire changing stand?

You can make something like this for about $20-30:thumbup:

well for some reason superhomojunkie is not allowing me to attach pics at this time..........

a tire changing stand is imparative to a fast quality removal or installation of the 10" & 12" race tires!!!!!

i'd be than willing to email you some pics of what many many miniGP racers use or have. MMracing sells a bling tire changing stand and they rock. Anything from a 10" to a 21" tire can be changed on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a stand. I think my problem is with spoons / tire irons and lack of experience changing 12" tires with tubes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Where was the actual puncture? Be sure your rim strip is in good shape, as installing the tubes can be a bear, but may not be your issue.

However, if you are pinching the tube with the tire iron, be sure that you are inflating the tube to take a round shape prior to installing it. If you leave it limp, it will stay that way...permanently. Not actual "pressure" in the tube, just enough air to make it round and slightly puffy. It will tend to get out of it's own way then.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 12" race tires are just plain harder to mount anyway. One of our guys, Stik Boy, has changed to NSR50 wheels on his 65 and 110..well, for many reasons....but the tubeless is nice, and they look cool too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where was the actual puncture? Be sure your rim strip is in good shape, as installing the tubes can be a bear, but may not be your issue.

However, if you are pinching the tube with the tire iron, be sure that you are inflating the tube to take a round shape prior to installing it. If you leave it limp, it will stay that way...permanently. Not actual "pressure" in the tube, just enough air to make it round and slightly puffy. It will tend to get out of it's own way then.
The puncture is from the tire irons. I will work on getting better (more rounded irons) and better tubes. I'll try to air up the tires a little to ensure that they don't get punctured. Right now switching rims is not an option, but with time I will work on that. I have mounted tires on our NSR, and it's alot easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had one laying around, so I got some spokes and relaced the rim. I will be buing wider rims later on in the season if this bike suits me. I've been riding an NSR and just wanted to try out the KX to see if I like it. I don't want to spend too much money on the bike if I won't like it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had one laying around, so I got some spokes and relaced the rim. I will be buing wider rims later on in the season if this bike suits me. I've been riding an NSR and just wanted to try out the KX to see if I like it. I don't want to spend too much money on the bike if I won't like it.
That is the reason you are pinching tubes. The wide 12" rims and HD tubes will ease the process. Cam

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
no worries.......

yeap narrow rims with RR tires spell problems........

Wide rims, slippery lube, schmoove spoons and some close attention to what your doing, and you'll get it figured out.

I still see people on the track with wobbly tire seats/beads ......... Thats one more reason they can't get over in turns at higher speeds.........:headshake

·
Registered
109 Posts
nice spoons, lube, and patience works....stock klx 110 rims and bridgestone 601s, tt91s, pirellis, whatever, no machine, by hand, usually at my pit....on the ground with rocks diggin into my knees...no probs at all....just patience, lube, and tire levers......and spit works for lube if needed....

As long as the tube is inflated to take shape before installing, you will be 90% of the way to a pinch-free installation.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The stands help so much for ease of the operation its SIC:boxing:

I can change most tires including taking them off the bike and putting them back on in less than 20 minutes with a sweet bead:thumbup: , no rocks, no BS, limited sweat:infrandom

Why suffer when you can use your brain to make simple tasks easy and save your brain/body for the track:laughingr:laughingr:laughingr silly little monkey tricks are for kids;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with the ticks are for kids...I have to...:laughingr

Just illustrating how they can be changed easily if done correctly. the right tool for the job is always recommended, just not always necessary. I can't fit anything else in my race rig....(VW Bug (TDI))...not even a generator...even though my car sounds like one.:rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts