SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Gary Trachy's video he says not to groove, that most people dont do it. I ordered Dunlop slicks from Motostrano, and they told me to run soft compound slicks. They said that is especially important if I dont have tire warmers yet. I noticed that Hart and alot of other pros groove the centers of their tires horizontally. I have seen excessively grooved tires get hot and chunk and or melt from grooving. I guess my real question here is should I grove soft compound Dunlops? Will I destroy them if I do? If it is ok to groove them, then how deep and how far apart should I space the grooves? Obviously I want to stick to just the center 2 or so inches so it wont affect cornering right? Please Help!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Grooving varies from track to track depending on the type of dirt. I used to groove and now I dont. I felt the benefit was the dirt would collect in the grooves and fly off better once a mass collected in the groove from centrifical force. Without grooves the dirt was in a thin layer and would not fly off. Most dirt sections if dry will not stick to tires, if wet or sandy watch out. Raced sprint cars for years and grooved alot of tires, with a new tire you will want to go maybe 3/16 to 1/4 deep. As long as you are not going thru the carcass and into belted portion of tire. If you have a groover try it if not then dont waste the time or money. To lay out grooves measure circumfrance of tire and divide 2-3 inch to get equal spacing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Good info! I do have a groover. Do you think it will chunk a soft compound dunlop? Dirt doesnt stick to warm tires very easily then? Its been raining here in Oregon, so the dirt sections arent open yet. I have only been on asphalt so far and dont know what to expect.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It has been my experiance that wet dirt sticks more than a hard packed surface. You just get a thin film of dust. Never had a problem chunking tires on motard, sprint car different story.

Thanks! Good info! I do have a groover. Do you think it will chunk a soft compound dunlop? Dirt doesnt stick to warm tires very easily then? Its been raining here in Oregon, so the dirt sections arent open yet. I have only been on asphalt so far and dont know what to expect.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Not to thread jack but, Know any good sources for a groovy tire groover?:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
even in the dirt? I saw Hart and quite a few guys do it, but from what I can see it's like 50% do groove and the other 50% dont. I ended up doing it last night. I was bored. It did take a long time though. Thanks anyways and next time I will try not doing it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did not notice a difference on Dunlops, I did just switch to Metezeler drifts and they do have a better feel in the dirt and are just as good in the high speed areas on pavement. Just in idea for next time tires are due.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I did mine similar. I did a sort of horse shoe shape like the michelins have. I will see how it works tomorrow. thanks again for the tip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts