SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really rode a dirt bike that much. I wanna be able to jump rail road tracks, and small dirt stuff. Can y'all give me some tips on how to do it? Like body position, etc...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I never really rode a dirt bike that much. I wanna be able to jump rail road tracks, and small dirt stuff. Can y'all give me some tips on how to do it? Like body position, etc...
stand up, keep your body centered over the bike, and give it gas!! coming up short sucks. start with small jumps to get the feel and work your way up to bigger ones. motocross track is a great place to learn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
dunno if its the same as motocross since im still looking to buying my first supermoto, but in motocross its all about centering your weight, equally distributing it over the seat and keeping your legs tight against the gas tank, bend your knees, and give it gas

·
Registered
425 Posts
I suck at jumping, but from what I've learned, as guys above have said, stand up with knees bent, keep weight central, make sure you squeeze hard with your knees to hold on to the bike otherwise you'll separate from it in the air. Make sure you keep on the throttle, don't back off on the face of the jump, and resist the temptation to bounce before take off, it'll kick the rear end up if you don't know what you're doing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
when the face of the jump is too short and steep (for your speed), this is what happens...

had they gone quite a bit slower the bike wouldn't have bucked like that, of course they wouldn't have jumped as far.

As you'll see in the following video, the same type of crash happens for a different reason. the face is long and smooth enough, however he lets off the gas before he leaves the face of the jump.

Here we see why its a bad idea to be sitting on the seat.

I realize you won't be going for anything like these videos but the same rules of physics apply. This is what I see ALL the time in riders jumping for the first time. Whats most important is to have a camera recording you!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. There are some crazy rail road tracks around here. I would love to get some gangster air.

I get it..... stay on the gas! i have jumped off small stuff. And small jumps. But I wanted to go big. Even if its slow at first...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
please please get a go-pro! :)
I have one. If it will ever stop fucking raining, I'll take some pratice footage. I hope it lets up before Friday. Then I will be gone to work for 28 days.

I have another video on thread under pics/vids "I have found the ultimate playground".

·
Registered
557 Posts
everything already sugested and make sure your suspension is setup or correctly so it doesnt kick you over the bars or stand straight up on you coming off the lip......

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Make sure your not staying on the gas IN the air. Once in the air, you have to feel what you're bike is doing. Blip the throttle to bring the front up (Pinning it will put you in the right direction for a back-flip. Even if you didnt jump high enough :lol:). Tap the rear brake to set the front down/bring the rear up.

Im not the best in ANYONE's eyes but Im learning. Oh and do NOT overshoot the jump into another jump (if you have two in a row). That second jump is hard on the melon :headshake :laughingr

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you have the dirt wheels, I'd recommend throwing them on and hit up a mellow MX track to learn jumping. Honestly that was the best possible thing I've done for my SM racing/jumping skills. With the MX setup, you've got the knobbies to keep a bit more control, so you can really just concentrate on learning what the bike does in the air, on the takeoff, and landing etc. I went from total noob in the dirt, to being able to seat bounce 30-40 foot tables and keep up with local MX'rs on my slicks at the MX track. (And they hate that) :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts