SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an '04 WR250f that I'm thinking of converting to go tracking at Pats and maybe race.

This is what I know I need bare minimum, not sure if it's complete, some advice would be appreciated.

Wheels, rotors, sprockets and first tires front & rear, brake relocator - $650-$1000 (used/new)
Catch can - Looking at one for $50
Riding gear/leathers, spine protector - have it all
Heaver springs for fork - optional? $100

Tires for season - do I need multiple sets of tires for a season or can I get by with one type?

Anything else? I'm thinking I could be on the track for < $1000 pretty easily.

Any other advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Grab a set of takeof slicks from someone, and you'll be good there. If you wanted to do a couple track days before you upgraded your suspension, that would give you some time to make sure you know what you want..

Other than that it looks like your on the right track

·
Registered
442 Posts
As for tires, I would ask around for some take-offs. Save money on catch cans and make them yourself out of Redbull cans, plastic bottles, etc. Replace the coolant in the radiators with Engine Ice or Water Wetter. Other than that, here are the basic things you must have, on top of this I would HIGHLY recommend a set of hand guards if you don't already have them. When it comes to suspension, just use the adjusters for now, if you decide to get hard core into supermoto, then look into different springs and suspension valving.

New wheels/caliper relocator/rotors/sprocket - $880 http://www.motostrano.com/warp9wheels.html

Axle Sliders - $80
http://www.motostrano.com/suaxsl.html

Peg Sliders - $13
http://www.motostrano.com/ufosufopr.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the advice. Yeah I don't think I'll be riding too hard, just need to get my feet wet first.

Got the list, now I have all winter to get the bike ready... which means I'll probably leave it until March to actually start it :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Columbo,

It's worth mentioning before you invest in the hard parts that a WR250F probably isn't going to be 100% competative against similar "race" models. I've never ridden one, but I would expect the suspension to be plusher and the power less than a YZ250F or CRF250R, which for supermoto is not desirable.

Of course it should be completely adaquate for supermoto play riding, but our best riders probably couldn't place it any higher than mid-pack in our amateur classes. If that meets your expectations then great, we'd love to have you ride with us. Now if WR and YZ wheels interchange, then you can always upgrade the bike if you get hooked on supermoto, which you will...

Keith

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up. Yes I'm not expecting to be competitive in any capacity, on any bike, for a while. I just want to get on the track and see what happens, definitely play ride at this point. I figure if I really love I'll probably pick up a used racer at the end of next season, and convert my Yam back to dirt. But that's already looking down the road a bit.

Now speaking of power if I remember right the major difference between WR and YZ engine are the cams, but I could be wrong.

I could also up the power by losing about 30lbs :D

Columbo,

It's worth mentioning before you invest in the hard parts that a WR250F probably isn't going to be 100% competative against similar "race" models. I've never ridden one, but I would expect the suspension to be plusher and the power less than a YZ250F or CRF250R, which for supermoto is not desirable.

Of course it should be completely adaquate for supermoto play riding, but our best riders probably couldn't place it any higher than mid-pack in our amateur classes. If that meets your expectations then great, we'd love to have you ride with us. Now if WR and YZ wheels interchange, then you can always upgrade the bike if you get hooked on supermoto, which you will...

Keith

·
Registered
442 Posts
The WR's also have a lot of restrictions to pass emissions (plugged up exhaust, retarded timing, plugged up airbox, etc.) but if you eliminate all these things (which I have done to my own) the run the same az a YZ, just a different kind of power due to the cams. But my 05 WR will smoke my buddies 08 250f and he's much lighter than I am.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Don't worry too much! The MOPED guys come out and have tons of fun! Just do it---and you can worry later about which classes you prefer and how competitive you want to be.
The main thing is to prep whatever you ride within the rules (in order to ensure safety for all)---see link I sent above---come out and have fun!
There are no big bucks involved---we do it because we love it. Period.
(P.S. If you find the Beaverton area convenient, PM me---I'll fix you up with an adequate "catch container" for free.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah I've done all the mods you mentioned plus after-market exhaust... it made a HUGE difference. Weird just how much they restrict it.
WR have extra weight, mainly due to starter/battery. But that I'm willing to live with...

The WR's also have a lot of restrictions to pass emissions (plugged up exhaust, retarded timing, plugged up airbox, etc.) but if you eliminate all these things (which I have done to my own) the run the same az a YZ, just a different kind of power due to the cams. But my 05 WR will smoke my buddies 08 250f and he's much lighter than I am.

Thanks Santiago, if you have an extra catch can I'll take it. PM coming. I'll be sure to get the rest of the bike prepped as per doctor's orders.

Don't worry too much! The MOPED guys come out and have tons of fun! Just do it---and you can worry later about which classes you prefer and how competitive you want to be.
The main thing is to prep whatever you ride within the rules (in order to ensure safety for all)---see link I sent above---come out and have fun!
There are no big bucks involved---we do it because we love it. Period.
(P.S. If you find the Beaverton area convenient, PM me---I'll fix you up with an adequate "catch container" for free.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Santiago

Thanks for the catch can and advice Santiago. It was nice meeting you, looking forward to the spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts