SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a first bike for quite a while now and I found a pretty nice CRF230 with and enduro kit on it with a street legal title. I'm not a very big guy, so the size of this bike isn't really a problem. The only problem is that through the research I have done is that these things are pretty difficult to convert to supermoto's. I was wondering what you guys think, should I give it a go, or just look for one that is already a supermoto.

Link to the ad for it:
http://racine.craigslist.org/mcy/3743735662.html

·
Registered
567 Posts
dont get the 230L if you wanna go the sumo route. look for a 230M. it's already motarded. or save up and get the newly released crf250M. I can tell you that the crf230 motors are ROCK SOLID!!! I rebuilt one a few months ago and whoever worked on it before me left his gear jammer tool in the clutch side when he put it back together. tool was sitting in the oil screen when I opened it up. The cylinder skirt was dented at the bottom. The decision was made to try to tap it out a little. a piece cracked off but the motor has been running strong since even with it's flaws.

If you can find an already sumoed on I will tell you that the motor will run forever.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If it doesnt have a WI title and you are from WI you better call the dot with a vin, a illinois street title doesnt mean it is legit in WI unless the vin matched what is on the list that WI says is ok.....It is expensive to do a supermoto conversion not a real quick job either unless you have the money to buy it all at once, all depends what you want out of it:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont get the 230L if you wanna go the sumo route. look for a 230M. it's already motarded. or save up and get the newly released crf250M. I can tell you that the crf230 motors are ROCK SOLID!!! I rebuilt one a few months ago and whoever worked on it before me left his gear jammer tool in the clutch side when he put it back together. tool was sitting in the oil screen when I opened it up. The cylinder skirt was dented at the bottom. The decision was made to try to tap it out a little. a piece cracked off but the motor has been running strong since even with it's flaws.

If you can find an already sumoed on I will tell you that the motor will run forever.
I've thought about saving up for the 230M. I've had a few different Honda dirt bikes in the past and those things are absolute tanks. Pretty much indestructible. That's crazy about the guy leaving his tool in there lol! I'm thinking since it is already street legal in Illinois (where I'm located) there shouldn't be too many things to do to sumo it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it doesnt have a WI title and you are from WI you better call the dot with a vin, a illinois street title doesnt mean it is legit in WI unless the vin matched what is on the list that WI says is ok.....It is expensive to do a supermoto conversion not a real quick job either unless you have the money to buy it all at once, all depends what you want out of it:thumbup:
I'm in Illinois, so the title would be fine, should be no problems with that. I know it is expensive but I just love the crf's and Honda's in general because I have had a few of them and they are rock solid. I'm not too worried about how long it will take, I'm fairly worried about the expense but if I can pick it up cheap enough I would love to work on that project.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've thought about saving up for the 230M. I've had a few different Honda dirt bikes in the past and those things are absolute tanks. Pretty much indestructible. That's crazy about the guy leaving his tool in there lol! I'm thinking since it is already street legal in Illinois (where I'm located) there shouldn't be too many things to do to sumo it.
you should be good on the title then, if you want to sumo it get a parts list together of what you wanna do so you can get an idea on cost, then take that and double it:lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you should be good on the title then, if you want to sumo it get a parts list together of what you wanna do so you can get an idea on cost, then take that and double it:lol:
Lol thanks man, the only problem is that I haven't seen too many 230's sumo'd so I know the general things I would need but all the other knicks and nannies are what you're talking about with doubling it hahah. Thanks a ton for the advice though :cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey im in minnesota and you should click on minneapolis and motorcycles thier is a guy in grand rapids who is selling the stock rims and wheels off a crf230m. obviously not the best for performance but your not looking to race on a 230 either. plus they would be a super simple switch from dirt to street hence they are made for your bike! hope this was help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey im in minnesota and you should click on minneapolis and motorcycles thier is a guy in grand rapids who is selling the stock rims and wheels off a crf230m. obviously not the best for performance but your not looking to race on a 230 either. plus they would be a super simple switch from dirt to street hence they are made for your bike! hope this was help!
Thanks a ton man! I honestly never thought about just buying the 230M wheels... Duh :rofl:, that has to be the best fit, and if they don't I could do a little fabrication and whatnot and boom, hopefully a supermoto turnout. Thanks again, I'll have to check that out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 04 230F with a 250X rear disc brake. Will the 'M' wheels bolt right up?. Or...Can I lace the 230M rims to the 230 front and 250X rear hubs Im currently using?
ncc

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I will answer my own question. Yes and no sorta . Yes it will but I had to make some spacers for everthing to line up nicely. The 250X rear rotor will not interchange with the 230 hub however the early XR 400 rotor is a match. 230M gears are the same as the 230F and 250/250X and R. If you are using the oem drum brake system Im not sure if it can be laced to the 230M rim.
NCC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts