SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1971 G4TR Trailboss :D

Thinking front forks/triples from a 93 YZ80, KX80 motor/trans, KX or YZ rear swingarm and shock. Basically be left with the frame, rear fender, gas tank, and seat. :hmmm:

Anyone have pictures of some older bikes turned into motards?

The bike is all original, with some dents and dings, 1800 miles, it runs, but cuts out sometimes .. ignition problems and I have already replaced the points! Tired of the old setup and only 10~ horsepower.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find me a collector that would pay more than $500 for it and I gladly would, however, it is really not THAT rare, and not in museum shape. One major part is I am in California, and this bike is street legal, I do NOT want a minimotard that is not street legal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i had one of those, fun toy, but have to agree sell it and get a real mini tard. i got 500 for mine, and it was not in anywhere near the unmolested shape yours is in. but mine had been gone through pretty well as a riding bike. a collector will pay for it, just list it everyhere, you will find one.

as for streetable, remember all ktm bikes come without a off road use only designation on the title, ktm 85 and some 17's makes for a potent little death trap!!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
:laughingr I OWN ONE OF THOSE :clap: WOW I THOUGH I WAS THE ONLY PERSON LEFT THAT HAD ONE:bowdown:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as for streetable, remember all ktm bikes come without a off road use only designation on the title, ktm 85 and some 17's makes for a potent little death trap!!!!
In CA the only thing I can legalize is something that comes street legal, is 49cc and under, or is '77 and older. Or comes with a sticker saying it meets on-highway emissions requirements, I don't know of any dirtbikes that currently have this.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes, good point. If that is something that is important, then you may have what you need. But you could probably find an old beater ( in worse shape then what you have)XL 100 or 125 as a chassis donor too

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I dont think it would but it wouild be a great mini dualsport. just replace the handlebars and mount some trail-wings. dont hack it up, its too complete.. most mini dualsports didnt make it a few year before they got hacked into dirtbikes so any of them left with original equipment are collectable

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It really isnt in collectible shape IMO, i do have other older bikes that are in collectible shape. Sure it is not a total piece of junk, but its not a showpiece. But, it is complete and not in BAD shape, what would be a good 77 and older bike to turn into a motard? And what would be a good front end to stick on? I was going to buy a 93 YZ80 front setup, but passed.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Thinking front forks/triples from a 93 YZ80, KX80 motor/trans, KX or YZ rear swingarm and shock. Basically be left with the frame, rear fender, gas tank, and seat. :hmmm:

The bike is all original, with some dents and dings, 1800 miles, it runs, but cuts out sometimes .. ignition problems and I have already replaced the points! Tired of the old setup and only 10~ horsepower.
That's a great looking vintage machine. My local Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha dealership is buying vintage dirt bikes left and right, restoring them and putting them on display on the showroom floor.

If I were you, I would restore it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't have the money to restore it, seat cover is ripped on the other side, swingarm is bent I think, needs a top end job, could easily sink thousands into it. Parts aren't cheap, especially NOS ones.

I also have this little one, which IS being "restored", basically just being cleaned up and easily found parts are being replaced.

Anyone guess what it is? =P

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get a dirt track tail section... make it a Street tracker with Bultaco Astro colors!!!
I think a "dirt track" tail section consists of removing the rear rack and leaving the fender. I could also remove the headlight, because legally I do not have to use a headlight during the day, and the bulb is blown and I have not been able to locate a replacement. I have a sealed beam and a nonsealed beam for it, cant find the sealed beam or a bulb for the nonsealed.

I also replaced the points on it probaby less than 2 hours of runtime ago and they are already acting up.

But, I am not opposed to using a less complete bike, especially one that is out of the system. Why? Mainly because I can put an 80 or 125 2 stroke from a newer bike into it, and have it inspected at the dmv with that motor in it. They wont know any better and I will end up with matching frame and engine numbers for the newer motor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
the rail boss from isnt exactly a beefy piece anyway. you are probably better off with a frame designed to hadle something closer to the motor your puting in it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the rail boss from isnt exactly a beefy piece anyway. you are probably better off with a frame designed to hadle something closer to the motor your puting in it.

Well, no crap to be honest. :lol: Dont think I could find a bike that old that could handle a new 125. Frame would be reinforced and the rear shock mounts would be completely different for a monoshock/swingarm.

·
Registered
112 Posts

get something newer , less of a head ache, also i could imagine jumping that thing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts