SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this a couple days ago and thought I'd post the link. Supermotoonline and Dennis Anderson are working with others to make things happen for our sport. There are alot of different ideas and concepts kicking around that hopefully help in growing this sport. This is a recent develope that shows great signs of progress being made. Thanks Dennis Anderson, Supermotoonline, and all the others who are working to make ths sport grow. Let's support the indivisuals, racing series and companies that are continually helping supermoto. Hopefully any professional racing will have a trickle down effect to the amateur and Average Joes alike.

http://www.supermotoonline.com/SM Project Phase1 10.22.10.html

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It is a good idea and I hope they could find the sponsorship to bring riders over to the States. For the Mettet, race, they get a lot of sponsors and the promoters is a TV producer as well. They have TV and TV advertisers - plus Europe loves motorcycle racing. That race is awesome and I was fortunate enough to get a chance to attend the event and race as well. They pay thousands to get the American riders over to the US. Flights, hotel and arrange bikes to ride.

This race would be possible and I bet the Euro riders would love to come over but unless they can raise $30,000 or more (just for the racers) it might be hard to bring over all of the top names. The second issues is getting big name Americans. Since there are no big teams, there are no more race bikes. Graves, Factory Honda, Troy Lee and HMC to name a few, have all disbanded and sold or gotten rid of any and all supermoto parts to build bikes. Even if Ward, the Bostrom Brothers, McGrath, Stewart, Reed and so on wanted to race this one-off event, someone would have to build $20,000 bikes to do one event. And I doubt top names are going to ride borrowed bikes that are a few years old.

In Europe supermoto is a lot stronger and they still have a world champ as well as huge national champs in countries like France, Italy and the UK for example. They build bikes each year and are up on the latest tech. In the US I have seen very few people riding 2010-built supermoto bikes. Most of the bikes are pre-2009 - maybe some 2009 models.

Races like the Reno Xtreme race will work but a full-blow Mettet-style international race might be difficult unless they had a way to pay for the races to get to the event in the first place. The X Games had live TV, which helped, but was still hard for the Euro riders to come over without bike support on the US Side.

We need some series or big events to keep something alive - I hope the idea Dennis is talking about has merit - good luck.

I know last year the idea to have a national series using existing events like Stateline, Reno, Infineon, Miller Raceway and so on fell through - I bet putting on an international race that needs big $ to happen might be more difficult.
-Good luck again - keep us updated

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
what about the little guys who want to compete but are not "big name"?
there are many fast guys across the country who are capable of qualifying but because they are not famous would be excluded? seems lame to me to deny guys who are into supermoto as their primary sport, but let in guys who only do it as a promotional gig because of their fame in other racing disciplines.

IMO if supermoto is going to recover in the states its only gona happen with the guys who truly love the sport.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
If its like the Mettet event, it will allow anyone to race. They just need to be good enough....

I just learned that the other day :D I thought it was a big name only thing but turns out its not. I would think This USA big event will be the same. Right DDR?

I doubt top names are going to ride borrowed bikes that are a few years old.
Why do you say that? I think if someone is good enough, they dont need a brand new bike! I hope its not an attitude of arrogance that would make skilled riders think like that. I dont think they are too good to ride a few-year-old bikes. If it means helping to save supermoto, then I think they could deal with riding a used, borrowed, old bike...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MX RIDER and J.R.-I agree with you guys.

J.R.- I don't know for certain, but I have to assume that "no name" riders would certainly be allowed AND encouraged to compete. If this was kept to a "big name" only event I think it would have poor attendance. Scott has a valid point about securing sponsors to fund a $20k plus bike for one event. That would mean the limited number of "big names" willing AND able to participate wouldn't be enough. So logically, if there is "big names" great, but the average Joe who can qualify for event would be the backbone. MX RIDER is 100% correct. A lot of pros went on to road race or other avenues in the industry. Most of those probablly were more lucrative then supermoto. The riders who truly love the sport and save money for tires and parts, race for pride rather then a pay check, the riders who go to work M-F at a normal job, riders who risk injuries that could mean lost income, the riders who drive 4 hours to the race and sleep in the bed of their pick up at the track, the riders who buy used tires/parts and ride older bikes, the riders that spend huge amounts of time on SMJ talking and trying to come up with ways to grow this sport. These riders are the future of the sport. Without these riders showing up and racing for nothing more then the love of the sport, it can never grow. There is no pro class in AMA, but there is a bunch of local amateur race series in US. Having "big name" riders at an event would be great and it would have alot of potential for greater exposure, however, without Average Joe riders(some fast as hell and some slow like me) supermoto will not be able to grow to anything bigger then it's current state. People that race for free truly love it. It's not about winning or losing, but doing something you love. The riders who are in this category know who you are.

I hope Dennis Anderson's idea pans out and "no name and big name" riders are there to grow the sport.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The riders who truly love the sport and save money for tires and parts, race for pride rather then a pay check, the riders who go to work M-F at a normal job, riders who risk injuries that could mean lost income, the riders who drive 4 hours to the race and sleep in the bed of their pick up at the track, the riders who buy used tires/parts and ride older bikes, the riders that spend huge amounts of time on SMJ talking and trying to come up with ways to grow this sport. These riders are the future of the sport.
We are the true pros. We will grow the sport.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I hope that will work. :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
the riders who drive 4 hours to the race and sleep in the bed of their pick up at the track
This sport is soooooo much fun, some of us are willing to drive 7-8 hours (or more), numerous times each year, just to race. Even if there is no practice scheduled for the day before, we still justify the 7-8 hour drive.

I'm in for one big event next year regardless of the drive!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
At a race like Mettet, they do allow a load or riders, probably 160 or more - then they have qualifiers to wean down the field to I think it is 40 - or it at least used to be 40.

To pull a race off like they are talking about in the US, Mettet-style, it will take "Big Names" to make it possible to get Sponsors, a TV deal and enough ad spots on cover the TV time or at leas live streaming video online. They are talking about one huge event, bigger than the Reno event and, bringing over 10 or more top Euro riders is expensive.

And when it comes to bikes, No I don't think Jeremy McGrath, Jeff Ward, Ben Bostrom, Nicky Hayden, James Stewart would ride a borrowed 2-year-old bike unless they were factory-built machines. They would all want newer equipment that is up to their standard. At least a newer bike with good suspension, brakes wheels and tires. I would be sick to see a field that strong, along with some top Euro MX riders and supermoto stars. It is all possible but it is just going to cost $. And because there are no current supermoto teams in the US, it makes it that more expensive and difficult.

It is possible if they land the sponsors, book a venue, secure a huge purse, $100,000 or more (split between the top 20. The top riders will come and the top names will ride if they can get proper race bikes and all expenses are paid (by either a sponsor or the promoter) That is how Mettet does it. They cover all of the costs to bring in the big names.

This a big venture and something that has never been pulled off before in the US. I wish them the best of luck. Selling tickets is also going to be difficult. No matter how cool and sick supermoto is to you and I, for some strange reason the average motorcycle fan does not show up to supermoto events. The only place we have ever had a good showing at a supermoto even is up in the Reno area. I think it would be safe to say. that would be the best place for an event. Second would go to Long Beach, that was a cool race but then again Troy Lee promoted the crap out of that race. And I think they still lost $ when it was all said and done.

It is a great idea, will be cool if it happens, and I hope it is possible to do what they are talking about in the U.S. and at least break even or make some scratch. I think we need some sort of pro series and a race like this at the end of the year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yo! I was lucky enough to race Mettet a few weeks back, and while it was definitely a great event, it is actually very similar to the big US events I've raced like Mahem at the Morongo, Reno Streets, Xtreme Outlaws etc. Mettet is in the country, and resort-type events have a major spectator advantage over rural locales. Mettet has built a brand that people are stoked on and willing to drive to the country drive for, but resorts should still have an easier time getting folks to show (the Grand Sierra mucks were purportedly very happy about attendance this year). I met a ton of euro riders who saw that I'm from Nevada and were stoked to come over and race in places like Reno and Vegas because they want to see these places anyway. These are not household names, but they're burly riders who are willing to come over with a wheelset, brake, and suspension to slap onto a borrowed bike...no travel money, start money, nothing. There are very few euros making a living racing SuMo, these dudes pay to race and get back what they can just like us. You need some heavy hitters with reputations too, but if it's too exclusive you end up with an 18-rider World Championship. My point is this; there are at least two events on the books in the States next year that are of a very high caliber. Stateline and the Grand Sierra Resort event. If Dennis and his gang can organize a finale in a place like Las Vegas, then you have a triple-crown type series with one event in each season (spring, summer, fall) that can easily serve as a US Pro Championship. Work on purse and especially media coverage, and the top-notch riders will surface. There are obviously hurdles to overcome with this approach, but it's relatively simple and could work. My two cents
Cheers
Steve Marty

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Steve I really like your idea about the triple crown. Since we already have 2 killer events this new idea of Dennis' will fit right into a triple crown. I also agree with the points that Scott from SMR made about the realities of resurrecting the pro scene.

GO DENNIS THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and keep racing with your local SM club. support the sport.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That was kind of the plan for 2010 but none of the promoters could come together and agree. I think it was Burkhart's agent who tried to put a small pro-series together (Meaning he would try to find sponsors to fund a decent purse and cover expenses)

The Idea was just that, take races l like Stateline, Infineon, Xtreme Outlaws, and maybe the race in Idhao, Utah and maybe Arizona. Each promoter would run their race and collect entry fees ans whatnot - BUT the 250 and 450 pro races would be considered a round of the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Big purse, sponsors just for the pro races, possible contingency and more media coverage and maybe internet TV.

BUT: Ed was not able to get everyone to agree on terms. It was kind of a race inside a race or a series linked to different promoters. Good idea but it did not come together. Not it would take a decent purse and some promotion to get 40-60 pros to travel and attend 5-7 events. Yet again, if there was fun, had a little contingency and prize money, maybe the old school guys like Steve Drew, Brandon Currie, Dymond and so on will buy or borrow a bike and come out.

Like Steve M said above, most of us do it for the fun. And even the purse money and contingency will not cover all of the costs to race - but it will help cover a tire now and again and maybe a half tank of fuel.

Good ideas - need to link up different events into one series.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
That was kind of the plan for 2010 but none of the promoters could come together and agree. I think it was Burkhart's agent who tried to put a small pro-series together (Meaning he would try to find sponsors to fund a decent purse and cover expenses)

The Idea was just that, take races l like Stateline, Infineon, Xtreme Outlaws, and maybe the race in Idhao, Utah and maybe Arizona. Each promoter would run their race and collect entry fees ans whatnot - BUT the 250 and 450 pro races would be considered a round of the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Big purse, sponsors just for the pro races, possible contingency and more media coverage and maybe internet TV.

BUT: Ed was not able to get everyone to agree on terms. It was kind of a race inside a race or a series linked to different promoters. Good idea but it did not come together. Not it would take a decent purse and some promotion to get 40-60 pros to travel and attend 5-7 events. Yet again, if there was fun, had a little contingency and prize money, maybe the old school guys like Steve Drew, Brandon Currie, Dymond and so on will buy or borrow a bike and come out.

Like Steve M said above, most of us do it for the fun. And even the purse money and contingency will not cover all of the costs to race - but it will help cover a tire now and again and maybe a half tank of fuel.

Good ideas - need to link up different events into one series.

Funny I was thinking this same thing, although my plan was more of an actual National Series not just west (or mostly west) coast 'National'... we all need to get together to build the backbone to support the sport.... i am sure there are other pros accross this land that want to ride and have fun.

You mean to tell me none of these pros have their own bikes?? :headscrat

edit - -i guess the more i think about they were given bikes to ride, why would the need to buy/own one. But shit, after it was gone - you mean to tell me you still wouldnt pick one up - just becuase - your a pro supermoto rider (whether active or not) ... you should still have your own bike... a bike, any bike.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I liked the old idea of a couple rounds in the east and a couple in the west. Then a chanpionship close to the middle. But that would be harder than the idea thats currently being worked on.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
As far as I am aware - MOST of the pros no longer ride SM and don't own bikes. Lets see a few, Steve Drew (no bike), Brandon Currie (no bike), Kurt Nicoll (no bike), Mickey Dymond (could borrow CHM bike) Dustin Hoffman (has been borrowing a Husky) Josh Chisum (not sure if he has his bike anymore) Mark Burkhart (HMC sold most bikes, may have one left) Team Troy Lee: (sold every supermoto part and bike) That means Jeff Ward and David Pingree don't have bikes or even wheels and brakes to build a quick bike. Cassidy Anderson (no bike, he might have a moto bike) Darryl Atkins (sold all of his Aprilias) Joey Pascarella (not sure if he has a SM bike anymore) Not sure about Casey Yarrow or Danny Casey. Graves also sold all supermoto parts and bikes a year ago.

East and West with a Final is a good idea. However, the big problem, which has been an issue even when supermoto was in full force (2004-2007) Sponsors to bring enough money to the table to have a decent purse. Pulls, Ticket sales. If it was hard to get over a few thousand people to come to race in the good times, it is going to be more difficult now. Promoters lost their asses doing nationals back in the good times because of poor ticket sales and huge AMA sanction fees (a good part of the fee was to pay for the purse)

Getting several promoters to call one of their big races a National is a good idea - but if there is not a decent purse, contingency or support, pros are not going to travel to all of the races unless they are only few hundred miles from where they live. If they have a chance to cover some of the costs with purse money or contingency, or even show-up money if you love over 300 miles from the race - if not, it will be a local race with local races. And if only 5-8 riders attend all of the "National Series Races" it is hard to call it a National. If only a handful of races attend every race, sponsors are not going to put up money for a "National" Series

Some of you might not remember. Paul Brent and Glen Curtis attempted to put on a non-sanctioned National series in the beginning of 2003. It kind of started off Ok with a few of the early names attending the first few rounds, Gary Trachy, Steve Drew, Jason Priedmore, Scott Russell, Mike Metzger, Matt Pursley to name a few. But as the series went back East and few rounds got rained out and then the Long Beach parking lot race was a joke - the series fell apart and few people attended the following rounds. Then the AMA announced the PRO series and that was all she wrote.

Something needs to be solid or it is not even worth doing. If by round three there are 8 pros showing up to events and the finals are 10-12 pros on the line, it will not look good and anti-supermoto people will call us a joke. For some reason the "Hard-Core" motocross industry has never embraced supermoto - they bagged on it more then praised it.

Talk is cheap, it will take a few people full-time commitment and a lot of start-up capitol to make a go of a "Real Pro Series" It is all about risk - and that is part of the reason I think the AMA series never got going as well as it should have. Everyone wanted to make $ right off the bat, especially the former AMA Pro Racing people. They did not invest the Red Bull money back into the sport. Instead they put the money into the general AMA Pro Racing fund and ran the SM races on a shoe-string budget and put and asked the promotes to do too much to get a unknown sport off the ground. All the AMA said was they hand no budget - even though Red Bull sponsored the series and put up Crazy money (I don't know the numbers) But some said that if they would have invested the sponsor money into the sport, (small sanction fees, better marketing, better branding) things might have been better.

I know I was hooked and I dropped everything, quite my solid job at Dirt Rider Magazine to start my own Supermoto magazine. I thought SM was the shit and I was 100% behind it. I invested a bunch of money to keep the mag going for six years until I realized others that were running the Pro Sport might not have had my passion or a way to fund the series.

Like I have written before, if anyone knows of a rich person willing to have some fun and fund a pros supermoto series and do it right - might make some $ in five-eight years. It cost probably 2-3 hundred thousand to put on a bike race like the one in Reno or the race like Troy Lee Designs did at the Queen Marry a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The sponsors are gone. But the racers are here! Casey Yarrow is still racing supermoto and he is not just out there running away with everything. The talent level that I see in the "pro" (expert) classes in supermoto USA is amazing. These guys could put on a hell of a show if there was a half decent track that would actually show case the sport.

** BROK does an awesome job...but we are limited since we have to tear out the dirt section after every event.. THANK YOU BROK**

I raced extreme outlaws it was a great event, and thanks to those who put it on. BUT the track sucked and did not showcase the sport. We were racing on a track with no real paved corners, no corner speed (aka insane lean angles) and the "dirt section" was all sand...

If there was just one awesome dedicated track that would hold a big event with a track like mettet it would grow the sport more than anything. These small kart tracks that hate us, and don't allow dirt sections are whats holding the sport back right now if you ask me.

you gotta walk before you run.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts