SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this thread has existed in the past, or if I am posting it in the right section. I figure this is where it would belong. But the point is to tell your washing/cleaning secrets. Im curious as to what works the best on aluminum frames and wheels. When I picked up my YZ250F I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser on the frame and wheels and it did a really good job. Im wondering what you guys use to really get the tarnish off of aluminum. Discuss and share:D

·
Registered
637 Posts
What is this "clean" you speak of? Last time I washed or otherwise cleaned the exterior of a bike was about 3 years ago. Now I don't bother. Too much mud on it? Ride through a puddle. :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
What does cleaning your bike mean? People do that? I thought it was against the law???

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If all these nice pictures I see of everyones bikes are taken when they are dirty, then my bike must just be filthy nasty lol.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Ride in the rain. Cleans the bike right up :thumbup:

A bucket of soapy water and a brush goes a long way with help of some elbow grease.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Simple green mixed 50/50 seems to do a decent job at eating dirt, grease, and oil. Soak the bike in it, then spray it off. That gets the crap off that scratches when you scrub. Then a soft rag/cloth or sponge and a bucket of warm 25/75 SG/Water, to scrub the rest off.

I wash my bike 2-4 times a year (usually in the summer when I am stuck at home with the kids and can't ride). Gives me time to check it over thoroughly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Blue coral carwash with a couple oz. of simple green and mothers aluminum cleaner/polish.

·
Registered
724 Posts
the simple green will eat everything but you have to make sure to get it ALL off or things will go downhill.
i use concetrated car wash, and sometimes i wax after. i have tried amour all on plastics and i'm just not sure about it.
make sure to lube the chain up after no matter what.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I always go over the chain/sprockets with WD-40 and an old toothbrush to get rid of any chain lube buildup or fling. Then I wheel the bike out of the garage and drag out the power washer. Before hooking-up the washer I give the chain area a good soaking with concentrated Simple Green and let it soak. I hook up the power washer then give the whole bike a good soaking of dilluted Simple Green (a garden sprayer works great for this). Then proceed with the low pressure head to spray everything until there is no trace of foaming, paying special attention to the chain area since that's where the concentrated SG was. Dry the plastic and seat with a chamois and do some laps around the neighborhood to dry the wheels, brakes and chain. Lube the chain and call it a day.:rock:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I usually use a leaf blower too, but not a Stihl. Stihls suck. :infrandom

:lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard of someone saying they used WD40 on the frame to clean it.....wondering if anyone has tried that......?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
This is how I clean mine , and people see them and think they are new . I ride the shit out of them on and off road .
First you need some good old Suzuki wash , it is the best shit I have ever used . I use it on a very expensive street bike with tons of carbon and its never stained anything . I also use it on the motors of my trucks as well , I dilute the Suzuki wash 50/50 with water . It still has plenty of kick to get anything off , I spray the bike down and let it sit a few minutes while I hook up the pressure washer . Hit it with the washer real good then I bust out the good old echo leaf blower . Dry it good , lube the chain and put that bitch back in the garage .

I have been using that Suzuki wash for many years now , I usually buy it in either a 5 gallon bucket or single gallon . Hope this helps .:thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I heard of someone saying they used WD40 on the frame to clean it.....wondering if anyone has tried that......?
Wd40 and a green scotch bright pad makes the frame look brand new again. Get all the black off from boots easily.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts