SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my supermoto to Thunderhill on Monday.

http://thunderhill.com/staticpages/index.php?page=TrackMap
The track is big for a supermoto and I knew I would run out of steam on most of the long straights. On much of the tight stuff, 5, 5a, 6, 11-13 complex, I would keep it tight with the R6s and 1100s, but on the front stretch, back stretch, and much of the back side, no contest. The track is 3 miles around and not really the place suited to run a supermoto.

The bike was maxing out at 96 mph and I would not expect too much more. The gearing is 14-40 and I could not pull the gearing to the limiter, so maybe a 14-43ish might be better. Is it going to go better then 96, yea maybe 97, but we will see. The aero of a brick doesn't help.

The tires were Bridgestone BT-016. I haven't ridden a Bridgestone on the track since my fzr400 days. It was the only tire brand that would fit the 18' that Yamaha decided to fit to that bike. Pressures were set to very Pirelli like numbers, 29 front and 26 rear. After a few laps, and a bit of cold tearing, I went up a lb on both ends. The results were excellent. Feedback in the rear was still vague, but I could power slide it into the corners. The front was good and predictable. The only real problem with the front was going WOT into 8. The front would push all the way through the corner. Not sure if it is the tire or the suspension...

The suspension was done by Robert at Evolution Suspension in San Jose Calif. Great guy, knows his stuff. The front YZ forks was lowered using a spacer, by 1.5 inches and the rear was given a 1.5 lowering link, made by some guy in Utah. RaceTech in both front and rears and Ohlins oil, for whats its worth.

Dave Moss, another local suspension guy was at the track. I had every intention of paying my $20 and having him adjust the suspension, but no need. The bike handled excellent and we are well within the ball park.

To put it in perspective. I can do 2:08 on a race prepared FZR400. I was doing 2:21 on a fairly stock, first time out WR450. Very satisfied
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McqlgnGoR8Y

Why this write up. Because I haven't read to many posts about a supermoto at a big track and wanted to provide some baseline for anyone else out there.

Cheers
Vern

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
there's a "big" track here that i've thought about taking the wrx to. it'll do the same top speed as you're getting out of your 450, just a bit slower getting there.

just not sure if i'm ready to be a moving speed bump for the big bikes on the straights.

lol, maybe i'll just stick to the cart tracks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts