SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's where it all starts....the blasting cabinets....behind the roll up door is an area larger then a 1 car garage. This is where we do chassis's and big stuff. The 2 yellow cabs are for the med to small stuff.

Heres the bike all torn down. Nothing too exciting....

The stock clamps needed some love...had to get rid of the casting marks...

the triples got a little love too...

After everything gets blasted it goes in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees to bake out all the oils....gotta wear some gloves so you dont f anything up. I tried to blast the frame but its already powder coated. we send it off to a company that puts it in a oven at 750 for 45 minutes to burn all the PC off.......this takes a few days....

Fast fwd.... so everything is now cooled off from being in the oven and is ready to have the gloss black powder.....heres 1 of the spray booths and everything hanging on the pc rack. the green tape is heat resis. and blocks the powder from sticking.

So heres one of the guys putting on the powder...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

powder applied....

the pegs needed some love too

24 minutes later everything comes out of the oven to cool off and wrapped up for shipping/delivering..or for me to take home. I did all of this in about 3 hours with the 4 guys who work the night crew. I prepped everything and they just had to spray. The gloss black was the first coat. Second came the gloss clear for that extra layer of protection...

heres where they do all the packaging....on the other side of the panels...

One of the perks of working for a large powder coating company is getting all my stuff done for free. Saved me about 600 bucks.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heres some of the shop...we have a phosphate/ hot h20 pressure washer for the greasy stuff

Heres a corvette chassis ready for assembly that my buddy built. im not sure what year vette it is, but its the last year of the steel frame. Its getting all 07 carbon fiber body work

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to hard ano the fork tubes but being the bike never sees the dirt...shame on me......I had the tubes and lowers coated as well....after everything was coated, I had it sent off to Boykins suspension for new valving, springs...etc etc....Here is everything finally back from Boykins.

All the black shiny goodness

Linkage installed

Engine .......blue tape is def good while trying to shoehorn the engine in.

Roller

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished today after 2 weeks.....no left over nuts and bolts....:thumbup:
Powder coated everything I possibly could....forks, frame, subframe, pegs, triples... :D

Added some pro taper contours and got a slim ballast for the HID. The rubber mounts from baja dont like to be stretched much so I ordered the hard mount kit...works perfect....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Damn! That's gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
i love pictures!! and those are some good pictures!!

Dude your bike is sick. and you really think it would cost 600 bucks to do all that stuff? wow!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah....that includes the burn fee for the frame, the gloss black powder, the clear powder and the masking fee....def not cheap but its top notch...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rode her tonight for a little bit....wanted to go easy on her....ill start flogging her once i tighten everything back up.........but she rolls stoppies so smooth now...

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Awesome to see peeps take loving their bike to the next level. Beautiful pics, discriptions and sexy bike man, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Very nice. Question: On vintage bikes hows it work out to sandblast the cylinder and engine cases and then clear coat? I have seen pics of vintage bikes that had that stuff powdercoated but with colors added and IMO its not period correct but it seems to me clearcoating would keep the clean look while maintaining its originality. Thanks for your input. Same question applies to the hubs too.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice. Question: On vintage bikes hows it work out to sandblast the cylinder and engine cases and then clear coat? I have seen pics of vintage bikes that had that stuff powdercoated but with colors added and IMO its not period correct but it seems to me clearcoating would keep the clean look while maintaining its originality. Thanks for your input. Same question applies to the hubs too.
When it comes to that kind of stuff, you blast it, bake it to get all of the impurities out and then pc it clear. When it comes too blasting though different types of media will give you different results as far as the "finish" goes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is one of the nicest 510s yet....:clap:

I wanted to get my swingarm done, and I live in Castro Valley. Where are you guys located at?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is one of the nicest 510s yet....:clap:

I wanted to get my swingarm done, and I live in Castro Valley. Where are you guys located at?
Livermore, Maas brothers. Theres Maas Tech in Hayward, 2 diff companies..everyone gets em confused. What color? Clear Coat? Chain guide done too?

We should go ride some time, only a handful of us around here in the East Bay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts