SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get the 2011 CRF 450 it will be my first bike and im kinda new to the supermoto sport. Is there some ups and downs i should be aware of? Everything will help!

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
The power is so great, that it will put alot of strain on your arms while you try to hold on. :bannana:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The power is so great, that it will put alot of strain on your arms while you try to hold on. :bannana:
Ah, thanks! Is there any other fact that i should be aware of after i've bought it, is there any problems wich are "typical" crf 450? is it easy to get powerparts to it? mine is gonna be street legal so i don't want to overtune

·
Registered
727 Posts
Are you buying the "R" or "X" model?

·
Registered
901 Posts
if you really want to make big hp, you'll have to junk the fuel injection, and go back to a carb as there is not enuff fuel pressure to support big hp, unless you can figure out a way to hook up a extra fuel pump.

·
Registered
727 Posts
As with every "race" model, the maintenance is a lot more involved... You'll need to change the oil very often, check valve clearances etc.

I think the X is a little more tame, but will probably require not much less maintenance.

They're amazing race bikes though, I race an 03'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As with every "race" model, the maintenance is a lot more involved... You'll need to change the oil very often, check valve clearances etc.

I think the X is a little more tame, but will probably require not much less maintenance.

They're amazing race bikes though, I race an 03'.
Sorry, its the X model i've looked at. Is it easy to get powerparts to them? and how often do you have to change the oil/filters and check thee valves?

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Honda's have one of the biggest aftermarket selection, it's very easy to find parts for them. Since the bike you're after is an 11' it may not have that many options right away, but in a year or 2 everything under the sun will be available.

I don't know about the service intervals on the new X's, if you want to learn a LOT about them visit crfsonly.com and go to the forums.

·
Registered
46 Posts
if it hasn't been done already, REJET!

all stock X's are scary lean from the factory. crfsonly and the 450x forum on thumpertalk both have jetting databases. JD jet kit is easy.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, definitely jet it. I have no idea what jets those bikes come with, but the US models are very lean and run like crap. I put a JD jet kit in my 08. Should be same as your 2011.

Think I'm running a 165 or 168 main jet and a 45 or 48 pilot jet (can't remember). I cut the sides of my air box too. If you don't want to buy the JD kit, a lot of people have good luck with the Honda NCVS needle.

The bike is a ton of fun. Just keep an eye on the valves. I went ahead and put stainless intake valves in mine, as well as a TRX piston, but you should be fine for a while. Keep an eye on your oil consumption too. It doesn't hold too much oil as it is. oh, and run 1 qt in the transmission side :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts