SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching this site for the last month or so, and I'm glad to say that with all the info I've picked up, I have ordered all the pieces to initially complete my motard conversion of my 07 DR650.
Where I'm at so far: FMF Q2 exhaust, Dyno-Jet carb kit, K&N air filter, front and rear st.stl. brake lines, Galfer wave rotors, RSW billet fork brace, carbon-fibre sumo front fender, speedo drive conversion, 17" EXCEL wheels laced to my hubs (black), tail light conversion(DRZ250), Continental sumo tires, and a couple of small items that are not worth mentioning (very cool though)...
I really cant wait for everything to start showing up, I feel like a little kid waiting for XMAS (at 40 thats pretty hard to do). I'm sure you all can understand !!!
Well, look forward to posting some pictures as soon as possible, I think its gonna be pretty trick !!

Thanks again guys, this site is great !!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In round numbers how much to do your conversion?
Thanks for any reply.

Regards, withiam
Well... in round numbers huh... thats kind of hard to do cause I try not to actually keep track of that cause I'd probably start second guessing myself !!!! I think I'm around 2 grand or so, seeing as the bike was 5400.00 out the door, I think I'm still doing pretty good after comparing it to some of the other rigs I was looking into, I'm not gonna race it (maybe an open track day or two). This is gonna be a street ripper, I ride Harley's mostly these days and have been missing being able to run with the sport bike guys if I want to. I know its not a top speed runner but I do know it will be fun for most everything else.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to decide on creating my own Tard or buying one from the factory. I wish the Japs would step up and offer more of what the Euro guys have in their quiver. I'm still in the development stages. Haven't ridden in 30 years and this seems like a great way to get back in and have some fun.
Happy Tarding.

withiam

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to decide on creating my own Tard or buying one from the factory. I wish the Japs would step up and offer more of what the Euro guys have in their quiver. I'm still in the development stages. Haven't ridden in 30 years and this seems like a great way to get back in and have some fun.
Happy Tarding.

withiam
No problem, everybody seems to be going for the more exotic stuff when it comes to this motard thing. I had an 03 DR a couple years ago in stock trim and it was a hoot, I dont use them for off-road anymore, just backroads and commuting. This bike seemed to be the most logical choice for me, both money-wise and practicality.I was looking at the APRILIA 550 which I think is totally BAD-ASS, but heard horror stories about break-downs and the price has just gone up this year, also my insurance guy gave me a quote on it that was very high, I live in Southern Connecticut very close to the city and EVERYTHING is over priced here !!!
Good luck with your decision, I cant wait to let you know how this thing turns out, I'm covered in snow right now with no parts to play with so till then ...... Mark B

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(slap slap)

Wake this thread up! The people* need updates!!

*me
No crazy updates really, I added the front stainless pipe when it became available and a Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb, which definately changed the bike. Its not a MONSTER or anything, but is much more rideable, I can lug it in 4th or 5th around town, as well as make the sport bike guys wonder what it is that they cant catch on a backroad.
I got about 2k in miles on it so far, and am very satisfied with my decision to build it. It's starting to get cold up here again, and the streets allow for some fun powerslides to and from work, which is what I use this for EVERYDAY !!!!!!

Thanks for the interest, this bikes great !

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dammit!

I was hoping you would tell me how bad the DR650 sucks for SM duties! I like the idea of the 650 over the 400...but the initial reports were that the 400 was "way better" than the 650. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the update though! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:needpics:

Mark B....where in CT are you located?
I have a bunch of pix in the DR650 picture thread posted a while ago, and I'm located in fairfield county. I do a lot of my riding between fairfield and danbury, some pretty cool backroad stuff. Often we go to Marcus Dairy then into Dutchess County NY, but I really dont know how long the dairy will actually still be there, its supposed to of gotten demo'd by now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dammit!

I was hoping you would tell me how bad the DR650 sucks for SM duties! I like the idea of the 650 over the 400...but the initial reports were that the 400 was "way better" than the 650. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the update though! :D
As far as "TRUE SM " duties, I guess the Dr would fall short in comparison to the 400sm, but I didnt build it for that. I've only ridden 1 DRZ400SM and it was completely stock and quite a bit abused, but definately felt " gutless " in my opinion.
I guess I'm an old school kinda guy.......theres no replacement for dissplacement........I'm sure there are much more compitant choices for sumo conversions, but for me this one is doing perfectly.
I have several other m/c's and do m/c repair on the side at home, I really dont like having to constantly attend to my own bikes instead of riding them when I HAVE the time !!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
what was involved with the speedo drive conversion so you can use the stock speedo? was it just an internal gear change? i have a trailtech vapor but dont like it and want to put the stock speedo back on.

thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
what was involved with the speedo drive conversion so you can use the stock speedo? was it just an internal gear change? i have a trailtech vapor but dont like it and want to put the stock speedo back on.

thanks
Take out the front axle and one screw that holds the speedo to the send wire, then reverse the order with the new speedo gear box. Got mine at procycle. Its a whole unit, makes it real easy to change back and forth

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have a bunch of pix in the DR650 picture thread posted a while ago, and I'm located in fairfield county. I do a lot of my riding between fairfield and danbury, some pretty cool backroad stuff. Often we go to Marcus Dairy then into Dutchess County NY, but I really dont know how long the dairy will actually still be there, its supposed to of gotten demo'd by now.
Pretty far south for me. I am northwest of Hartford. Eventually (maybe next summer) we should get everyone within 50-100 miles of NYC to meet up and go for a ride as a big ass group. That would be fun.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty far south for me. I am northwest of Hartford. Eventually (maybe next summer) we should get everyone within 50-100 miles of NYC to meet up and go for a ride as a big ass group. That would be fun.
Nice ! Try to keep in touch through this place, I'm up that way all the time on my cruiser, we rip it up over in Dutchess county on the sport bikes. I'm trying to convert at least 1 guy around here to build or buy a motard, a couple of guys are close but," hard tellin not knowin " !!!!
Anyways, look forward to the spring, bike should be even better next year, also gonna be running some club events at NHIS, just gotta see if I still got it on the track.

I'll be getting my need for speed on the mountain for a couple of months, "snowboarding" the winter motard (retard) sport !!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
will this work with RAD front hub? my stock drive fits without problems.
Should fit, the case is the same as stock, the guts are the only differance far as I can tell. I have to be careful while changing them cause they look the same if I put one down and forget which one I get all screwed up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts