SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DRZ is my first bike with a carb and I need some direction. I've searched and asked buddies but still need some direction.
OK so, Three positions which are "ON" "PFI" and "RES". What are the correct way to use this positions?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
On is for initially starting the bike from a cold start. When it idles normal (5 -7 mins) I ride.
"PFI" No idea what this is or how to use this.
"RES" is my reserve tank, which I had to use today lol.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I can't remember what the meaning of the letters are, but its for if you take your carb apart, and have it drained, it will fill your carb back up with gas so you can start your bike. Its not for riding around with, pretty sure it dumps more fuel than what your supposed to have into the carb for riding. Also, if you run out of gas with this setting on, you'll have no reserve fuel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I thought PFI was for Prime. As in when the bike is off to leave it in the position.
For normal riding, do you leave it set to On? Is "ON" only meant for cold starts?

·
Registered
412 Posts
PFI Should be PRI if you look closely. Its for priming the carb with gas after you emptied the gas out of the carb for any reason. On is on and off, its operated by vacuum so if the bike is off there is no vacuum to open the petcock so its off. Res is reserve. You don't need to touch it when starting cold it doesn't make a difference, leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Oh that's right it is prime. Its PRI not f. I leave mine in the ON position all the time. Unless I'm on reserve. As I switch from ON to reserve ill set it to prime for a couple seconds for easier starting.
You should not be riding with the bike on prime.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Yep. The dizzer has a vacuum operated petcock. So the engine running, pumps gas into the carb, keeping the bowl full. If you run it out of gas, or drain it to work on it or whatever, you turn it to prime. This allows fuel to flow freely into the carb to fill the bowl. Only need to do this for a few seconds. Otherwise, just leave it on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I am still very much a SM noob but I am loving every moment on this bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts