SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
14 is good. Go with 41(stock on sm model) or 42/43. It will give you plenty of pull at low speeds and be tolerable on highwAy. 15/41 is stock gearing on sm models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx, i think i am looking for more speed than anything, but not by much. just need to do 70 or so mph and have the bike in the sweet spot. was thinking along the lines of 14/38

·
Registered
366 Posts
i think 14/38 would be ok for that. i have stock gearing on my bike and could go 70 on the hwy all day long.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
If you are going to ride Alot of highway,go with the 15/41. The DRZ is down on power and lower gearing helps get the bike out of slow corners. I live in the MTNs of Western North Carolina and low gearing is a must. We have Alot of slow Hairpin turns down here and need the extra grunt. With a 14t c/s sprocket will make motor very buzzy on highway.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
A 14/38 is a ratio of 2.714. A 15/41 combination is a ratio of 2.733. Those combinations are so close that there really wouldn't be much of a difference.
A 14/39 would be right in between a 15/42 and a 15/41 combination. Very slight increase in low-end and extremely slight decrease in top end compared to stock SM gearing.

With the kit from Motostrano, you get a 44t rear sprocket. This would be a lot fun with a 15t front sprocket and A LOT of fun with a 14t front. But, unfortunately, with a 14/44 you'd have to stay off super slab.
The tires that come with the kit are either Avon Distanzia's (for on/off road) or Conti SM's (mostly road... mostly).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx, yeah i did look at the kit and the 44tooth would be useless, considering i think that the warp 9 fits a ktm sprocket? i did talk to them and Eddie from EPIC Motorsports who also sells the kit and both of them do sell alternative sprockets. so obviously i will have to do that, am still thinking that the 38 is the best choice, if i want to be able to leave the drive sprocket on during the swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts