SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have about three years of consistent riding experience switching between a WR250x and 701sm. I have been to the track a handful of times and realize that track riding is what I want to do the most. The wr250 has been my go to track bike but it needs suspension work, and some other mods to be reliable as a track bike (at least in my assessment) and I was wondering whether I should just invest that money toward a new FS 450 or 450 SMR for dedicated track use.

I am sure this is more bike than I need but might be the bike I can grow into. I also know there are engine maps and I could also switch gearing to make it less snappy off the line. I am older rider and dont take a ton of chances on the track and am wondering if anyone else made the switch to these without a ton of experience?

Would be interested in hearing any and all opinions. Thanks!

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey there, I have about three years of consistent riding experience switching between a WR250x and 701sm. I have been to the track a handful of times and realize that track riding is what I want to do the most. The wr250 has been my go to track bike but it needs suspension work, and some other mods to be reliable as a track bike (at least in my assessment) and I was wondering whether I should just invest that money toward a new FS 450 or 450 SMR for dedicated track use.

I am sure this is more bike than I need but might be the bike I can grow into. I also know there are engine maps and I could also switch gearing to make it less snappy off the line. I am older rider and dont take a ton of chances on the track and am wondering if anyone else made the switch to these without a ton of experience?

Would be interested in hearing any and all opinions. Thanks!
Get an FS450.
Got mine in May and it is amazing!
Have a 701 SM as well and the 450 is my preferred ride.
Proper gearing is crucial though on bigger tracks with longer straights.

· Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like you should stay with the 250x. How long are the tracks you are riding? Short kart tracks? I've had plenty of 450 supermotos. I have the 22 smr now and it will wear you out. Have fun learning to ride your slow bike fast. It's a perfect bike for going fast and learning and way more forgiving. Cheaper to run. The supermotos use expensive tires and the front is limited to 16.5 unless you buy a 17in front wheel.

· Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
The SMR I like better than the FS as it just seems to handle better but I have moved down to a 250 as the 450 on the tight tracks was just to much for me for three classes I race. The 250 for me works better for me but with that being said, I have the price of two brand new 450smr or fs450s in said bike. Like was mentioned above, they will wear you out. My 21KTM250xcf is light, plenty of power(44.7rwhp), stops killer and handles insane. But it did cost alot of $$ to get it there. I run a 16.5 front wheel and not the 16 as I did not want to spend the $$ on a dual front brake set up nor be held to one tire brand for the front tire. The 17 tips in to slow in my opinion, the 16.5 is killer but the 16 tips in like with eye movement lol. Just a spendy spendy set up but worth it if you are racing top pro.

Track only bikes cost $$ but are so worth it and SUCK on the street.

Reactions: 97900rr01f4i

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the comments. Yes short tracks. These are the competing thoughts i have: stay with the 250 and progress my skill or get the 450 and rise to the occasion. I have a couple more track days coming up so I'll wait until after those. I did get a new '22 fe350s thinking I'd convert to sumo but not sure that makes sense vs. a FS 450 or SMR

· Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
Appreciate the comments. Yes short tracks. These are the competing thoughts i have: stay with the 250 and progress my skill or get the 450 and rise to the occasion. I have a couple more track days coming up so I'll wait until after those. I did get a new '22 fe350s thinking I'd convert to sumo but not sure that makes sense vs. a FS 450 or SMR
This bike on the tight tracks keeps up with and beats 450s. The straights are the only place they for sure get me otherwise, all over them.

Attachments

· Registered
93 Posts
Yup. Lot of slow people on 450s. You will be happy when you pass them on your wr250x. I'm actually building a 2008 klx140l as a supermoto so I can ride it with the slower bikes. Will make it fun as most people bring out 65's and groms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts