SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally getting round to an update on my build.

My engine has been out having the EXC 5th and 6th gear install along with the necessary parts to get the capacity to 525cc as some DICK sold me a fucking 450SX! All sorted now though and I'll be picking the lump up on sunday so then I can get all the parts installed that have been trickling in recently.

For the time being, I'll be going as basic as I can with the road legal shit, having the bike MOT'd for daytime use only until I have the time and money to make/buy a full harness to run lights and all. So just a brake light and a horn for now to get it MOT'd and registered.

I haven't actually even ran the bike yet as it is uninsured and after having my last one stolen, I do not want to run the risk of this one going too before I can insure it.

Sorry for the lack of pics, I'm currently at work for the night, but I'll either add some pics in morning or on the weekend. There are shitloads to add lol.

:D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the DVLA and they told me they would send me some forms to fill in which I then have to send back with an MOT certificate and certificate of newness. I have a few bits to do before the MOT and need to get insured using the frame and engine numbers but hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll then be on the road again :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've done it on a crf before do same process as you. Took it for inspection etc but heard it had changed. Glad your getting there. Not that we have the weather tho :(

·
Registered
831 Posts
I called the DVLA and they told me they would send me some forms to fill in which I then have to send back with an MOT certificate and certificate of newness. I have a few bits to do before the MOT and need to get insured using the frame and engine numbers but hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll then be on the road again :D
I done this recently. You'll need the cert of newness from manufacturer, MOT on the frame number(no need for an engine no), should just need a horn and a rear reflector for daylight MOT. I use a 9v battery and a 6volt horn from ebay and it still works after a year. a real small stick on reflector. You'll probably only get a cover note for a month so make sure it's all ready for MOT. The cert of newness should also state that import tax was paid, if not DVLA refers you to the revenue which can take a week.
If I can help any give us a shout.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Shouldn't need to go for an inspection if the cert from manufacturer is good. Try asking KTM dealers or KTM UK head office? Mine was an old Husky which proved difficult but KTM might be easier.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I done this recently. You'll need the cert of newness from manufacturer, MOT on the frame number(no need for an engine no), should just need a horn and a rear reflector for daylight MOT. I use a 9v battery and a 6volt horn from ebay and it still works after a year. a real small stick on reflector. You'll probably only get a cover note for a month so make sure it's all ready for MOT. The cert of newness should also state that import tax was paid, if not DVLA refers you to the revenue which can take a week.
If I can help any give us a shout.
Shouldn't need to go for an inspection if the cert from manufacturer is good. Try asking KTM dealers or KTM UK head office? Mine was an old Husky which proved difficult but KTM might be easier.
I'll have to check the newness cert. for the tax bit as I'm really hoping it was paid as I'm fucking skinflint right now :rolleyes2: I heard you needed a brake light and a horn, aswell as the stupid reflector :headscrat I'll check that out.

I have some bits coming over the next few days in prep for the MOT and reg. such as a horn, small 12v battery and holder, wiring, clutch oil, coolant, radiator hoses, some bits for a rad overflow tank, a little momentary switch for the horn but I may get another killswitch to wire that to. And I have some bits of silicone tubing coming for the catch tanks and some bolts for my numberboard bracket as the front fender I'm using has no pins to hold the board in place, so I cut a bracket from some 1.5mm Alu plate, along with a licence plate bracket.

Should all be sorted soon hopefully :D

And I'm kinda like you Beest, as I prefer riding the backroads of East Yorkshire to work of an evening, usually scaring the sheep and cows when they hear me coming haha :lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Cheers beest. So it's hasn't changed much then. I've just picked up a crf which was road reg'd last year in feb and it has a rear brake light fitted. Not sure if it was requirement. Hope it all goes well for you mate.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Don't worry, the import tax would have been paid, its just proving it. KTM should be able to on the cert or in my case cos the bike was old I just spoke to someone at the NOVA department of the revenue and the sorted it. You should be ok though, it is 55 quid for the reg though and KTM may charge you for the dating letter. Mine cost 65 quid but it varies.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Beest, i was looking at the V55/5 form for registering my bike yesterday and some sections require me to consult the IVA/NOVA certificates (I think that's right, I'm pretty sure the IVA cert. was one) to be able to fill in the form.

Do you know how I go about getting the certificate I need for this, like who to call, where to go, etc.? And how much the bloody thing will cos lol........? :rolleyes2:

And I promise, there will actually be a REAL update soon. With pictures and everything.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Beest, i was looking at the V55/5 form for registering my bike yesterday and some sections require me to consult the IVA/NOVA certificates (I think that's right, I'm pretty sure the IVA cert. was one) to be able to fill in the form.

Do you know how I go about getting the certificate I need for this, like who to call, where to go, etc.? And how much the bloody thing will cos lol........? :rolleyes2:

And I promise, there will actually be a REAL update soon. With pictures and everything.
I did mine when they just changed it so the V55 said nothing about NOVA, came back from DVLA with a phone number for NOVA. Doesn't cost anything. I think if you get a good cert for dating then the NOVA thing is covered(it's just import tax). Have you been in touch with KTM for a dating cert yet? Have attached picture....

tumblr_n1ijp3hhFp1sjpjyho1_1280.jpeg

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did mine when they just changed it so the V55 said nothing about NOVA, came back from DVLA with a phone number for NOVA. Doesn't cost anything. I think if you get a good cert for dating then the NOVA thing is covered(it's just import tax). Have you been in touch with KTM for a dating cert yet? Have attached picture....

View attachment 99179
I got the 'Certificate of Newness' form Craig's Motorcycles in Dewsbury, but all that says is that the bike is a KTM 450SX built in Austria and lists the frame and engine numbers. I'll look into getting a 'Certificate of Authenticity' aswell. I'm hoping I can just fill in what I know on the V55/5 and then ring DVLA and say I have no idea what the IVA/NOVA certificate is, am I ok to send the form anyway or do I need to get the certificate so I can fill the rest in?

It's really banal stuff like the emissions, sound level, power to weight ratio and stuff like that. it's really doing my head in as I really DESPERATELY need this bike registered for the road.

I found this pic and it seems like this is all that needs filling in apparently but I'll continue to look into it......

I'm currently at work but will post some pics when I get home in morning.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally pulled my finger out.....

Well, I've finally got round to the pics.

Here's what I slung in a van and dragged back from Wales...

The bike was clean and very rarely used but was also way too orange for my liking and is a 2004 450SX, as opposed to the 525 SX it was advertised as. I didn't realise this until the engine was sent out for some work.

Anyway, I kicked off the modification process with a Circuit Equipment Stealth front fender.

Looks great, especially with the newer front board -

Then came the wheel change -

Picked up some tatty looking Red Bull shrouds and made some graphics for the rear panels -

Added some other parts such as the 4-pot Beringer front caliper and disc, Hel braided front line, Vapor speedo, coolant catch tank, carb catch tank, new carb drain hoses, RFX fuel mixture screw, RFX brake and clutch reservoir covers and a few other odd little bits.

While the engine was out having 2 extra gears added and capicity upped to 525cc, I decided to paint the frame aluminium, just to get rid of the garish orange powdercoating until I can afford to have it stripped bare and lacquered.

Tarted the seat up a bit...

I had to make a bracket for the front board to stop it rattling around seeing as the Circuit fender has no retaining pins on the top.

Ducati 748 brake switch used for the brake light. I hardly use the rear brake at all so haven't bothered with a switch for it.

Painted the chainguard and started with the Pro-Bolt goodness.

And that's about it up to now. I'll get an up to date pic as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the bolts done for the brake light and swapped some standard bolts for more anodised ones.

Also, I ordered some new radiator hoses today and received another killswitch to use as the horn button and some wiring. Just waiting for the 4-pin relay for the horn to turn up now after receiving a bicycle inner tube the first time. How it's possible to get them two things confused is beyond me lol. I'm also waiting for some shrink tubing to cover the joins in the wires. Eventually I'll go back and put factory style connectors on every join but I'm just getting it wired for an MOT at the minute.

I'm trying to find the best way to run some amber LED's as indicators too. I can't decide whether it would be better to make brackets to glue them into and bolt the brackets onto the plate bracket, or somehow mount them in the back of the airbox. I want this to look as close to race supermoto as possible, so having loads of big bulky lights and shit is definitely out of the question. I want 'just barely legal' kind of looks so any indicators/lights need to be as stealth as possible.

Hopefully I'll come up with something.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts