SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i want to buy the Kawazaki KLX450R 2009 and convert it to super moto....
is this KLX A good bike ? durable ? nice for stunts ???

your reply and advice will help me :) thanks....

[email protected]
Beirut-Lebanon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a yz450f motard and they sure don't like to be run at a steady rpm. Cough die cough die etc... It has loads of power, high maintenance, eats soft tires, wheelies like no other, and makes a lot of noise. They are very light and super flickable. Oh and I only get about 70 miles out of a tank of gas if I am lucky. But I love the damn thing and makes all my friends jealous. So really they weren't made for the road and are not tamed for the street so that is all up to you. If you are just looking for a weekend warrior then yes awesome choice but commuting....no.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Im pretty sure the KLX along with the WR and CRF-X are more tuned down models. Theres plenty of people on here with em that commute, and ride the hell out of em on the streets :thumbup:

The YZ is definitely more high strung and competition-bred

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have an 09. Great bike! So far very reliable. 3 valve checks and spot on! Bike has 4500 miles. I don't ride it everyday like I did my old DRZ. The bike has plenty of power,not like SXV,but enough. This bike is a wheelie machine!!!! Plus,get some dirt wheels and have two bikes in one. Biggest advantage over SXV,parts are very easy to get. In fact,Alot of KX parts interchange.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about the maintanence in the klx ? is it a high maintenance bike ? like the SXV ?
i use the bike daily...
thnks

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
what about the maintanence in the klx ? is it a high maintenance bike ? like the SXV ?
i use the bike daily...
thnks
Yes,KLX is a race bike. It has TI intake valves that need attention. Oil changes every 750 miles. Bike holds little over a quart of oil. If you want a daily driver,look for KTM 625/690,Husky 610/630,drz400,or yamaha wr250x. These bikes are mire road worthy. They have larger oil capacity and longer intervals between oil changes and valve checks. I live in MTN of Western NC,we have th best twisties on the east coast and my KLX is a weekend warrior. I have all week to do maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is no problem in changing oil every 700 miles , is there any other problems if i used it daily?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
there is no problem in changing oil every 700 miles , is there any other problems if i used it daily?
Probably not,just Alot of oil changes and valve checks often.If you keep an eye on valves,shouldn't be any issues. Doesn't take very long. I'm running Mobil synthetic motorcycle oil. If I go over 750miles I'm not worried. I won't go over a 1k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably not,just Alot of oil changes and valve checks often.If you keep an eye on valves,shouldn't be any issues. Doesn't take very long. I'm running Mobil synthetic motorcycle oil. If I go over 750miles I'm not worried. I won't go over a 1k.
aha ...good :) i will use motorex...any website in america for buying the rims ?wt do u suggest ? Excell ?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
aha ...good :) i will use motorex...any website in america for buying the rims ?wt do u suggest ? Excell ?
Mine are laced to stock hubs. Look for used models from a KX. Downside to that,you won't have notches in hub for stock speedo. You will need A Vapor. Motostrano can help. Buchannan is a good wheel source too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts