SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my SXV and don't know the bike well yet. I put about 100 miles on it today. Checked the oil this morn and it was just about to the "max" mark on the sight tube (I fully warmed it up and then shut the engine off before checking, which is proper I believe). Then I checked it again after my ride and it's not even showing in the tube :headscrat leaned the bike over pretty far to see any at all, but it's NOT empty nor is it "milky". I looked in the air box and there's a little bit of oil spatter below where the vent tube from the oil tank goes in, but no large amount of oil in the bottom of it like I was expecting from the amount it used.. It is an orange sealant engine with 300ish miles on it. Time for a re-seal???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
false alarm??

Went to the dealership today and talked with the service guy for awhile today. He told me that I should be fine, where as the oil as well as the coolant is clean, the oil was prob low from the start. Even though I warmed the bike up before i checked it, you're actually supposed to ride for 10min or so before checking it. Bought some 10-60 went home and added just under .25L and took it for a putt. Stopped to get some petrol and checked it. Level was good so I continued my ride for another 40ish miles, checked it when i got home and it seems to be right where it should be still :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I know I answered on AF1 too but the bike has to be warm , running and upright in order to check the oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx! I appreciate it. I did try checking it running too and it was def low.. Seems to be fine now that I added some. Fingers crossed, I hope to get a couple thousand out of it before a re-seal.. or maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones that doesn't end up needing it :D

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Thanx! I appreciate it. I did try checking it running too and it was def low.. Seems to be fine now that I added some. Fingers crossed, I hope to get a couple thousand out of it before a re-seal.. or maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones that doesn't end up needing it :D
Dont count on being the lucky one:rofl:

Your coolant level and how often you have to add will be a good clue as to when it should be re-sealed. If it were me I would do it over this winter. If you ride it too long with it mixing you will end up buying many more parts that you dont need now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahaha, not counting on it at all.. bought the bike knowing what it is and that it will more than likely need to have a re-seal done. Don't worry, I'm not gonna run it once it starts to mix at all. I'm def smarter than that and I'm actually considering doing the re-seal myself. I've been reading up on the job and it doesn't seem that bad. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Don't use the sight tube, it's very inaccurate. When you change the oil, you'll know how much to put in.
:headscrat

So I should remove and measure my oil after every ride? I'll stick to the sight tube thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lol, I think he means measure at each change and u will know exactly how much
Is in there. I put the mxv breather kit on, now I can run 1600cc of oil and it always
Shows up on tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts