SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what capacity oil sumps the SXV has? It's got separate g/box and crank/cyl lube, but is there any info on the specifics of the size of each? It's dry sump so I'm presuming here that the oil in the g/b is relatively static and relies on the box itself to splish it around and that there is only a single oil pump driving the forced lubrication of a plain bearing bottom end and feeding the head?

Any specific info on the servicing intervals, and what's involved with the 60 hour service?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pretty standard

I am no Mechanical expert but the service scheduale given above seems fairly standard and obviously all companies recomended intervals are on ther very conservative side.

The part I don't like is that all servicing is supposed to be done by the authorized dealer to maintain the warranty. I am not going to take a bike in to have them check the fluids, disc and pad wear, or clean the airfilter or any of the other simple stuff that anyone could do on their own. I would imagine that even the dealer would concede that you can do those kinds of things and keep the warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You still have 3 months warranty if you de-restrict, which I suppose you have done? :)

I did all my work myself without loosing the warranty, it's up to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
3 months? the owners manual clearly states you're only covered by warranty using the restricted version

i've also read several interviews and reviews of the bike which also stated you lose all waranty when derestricting the bike.

The SXV and RXV come in a derated version which can be legally used on public roads and is covered by a legal warranty.
my guess is if you still got 3 months that was probably a dealer agreement.
i've read something about a french rider who had his sxv for 2 months with 500 miles on the clock, his dealer refused to fix the bike under waranty because he derestricted it. pretty lame i know but it's not really a surprise you get little to no warranty on race/competition bikes

·
Registered
34 Posts
At first there wasn't but they changed it a couple of months ago, atleast here, it might be different depending on what country you are in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Skully25 said:
also says you lose warranty if you derestrict the bike (stock it only has 17 kw or about 25 hp), big deal, if you got a good dealer that's on the level he won't cut your waranty if you do anything to the bike
The dealer de-restricted my 550 as part of the deal. I'd like to see Aprilia deny warranty if something were to fail given that I didn't do a thing.

BTW, can anybody tell me what the idle speed should be and how to adjust? There is a knurled knob which LOOKS like an idle speed adjuster on the left side of the bike positioned behind what I take to be the airbox, but I dont' want to fiddle not knowing.

My bike idles at 3,500 rpm. Seems darned high to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
slide said:
The dealer de-restricted my 550 as part of the deal. I'd like to see Aprilia deny warranty if something were to fail given that I didn't do a thing.

BTW, can anybody tell me what the idle speed should be and how to adjust? There is a knurled knob which LOOKS like an idle speed adjuster on the left side of the bike positioned behind what I take to be the airbox, but I dont' want to fiddle not knowing.

My bike idles at 3,500 rpm. Seems darned high to me.
The Idle should be set when the bike is Hot.... Dont turn the screw down there until its been running awhile... With the Fast Idle on mine is saying about 3100... I have a whole 3 Milles on mine so far..... Picked it up Friday Night....I would guess the Idle on these needs to be around 1800 or so when at running temp.. Also it depends on what Map the dealer put in it..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine was idling at 3,500 when very warm. I have about 10 miles on mine. Is that knurled black plastic knob the idle adjustment?

Do yours give you a bit of a hot seat due to the exhaust heating the seat esp on the right side?

·
Registered
143 Posts
slide said:
Mine was idling at 3,500 when very warm. I have about 10 miles on mine. Is that knurled black plastic knob the idle adjustment?

Do yours give you a bit of a hot seat due to the exhaust heating the seat esp on the right side?
Yes... If it is runing that high when up to temp turn the Knob down just a little... It dosent take much.... And as far as the exhaust... Yes.. You definietly bought a nut/ass roaster.... :thumbup:

·
Site Sponsor
78 Posts
It should idle at 1800/2000 regardless of what map is in it.
Get it hot and unscrew the idle screw slowly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
under the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975, all you have to do is keep records of all your personal maintenance and receipts for the parts, and the company cannot void your warranty if you do your own maintenance or have another party do it for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone out there still have a running SXV 550??? All these posts are 15+ years old. I just picked up an 07 SXV550 yesterday! I hope to get many years and miles out of mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts