SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have an sxv 550. i really want to do supermoto but i just saw ama rules saying only the rxv is allowed. am i not allowed to race sumo at all:wtf:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Im certain its allowed, has to run in the unlimited class due to displacement.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Unless you plan on getting your AMA Pro card and running in the AMA series, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
sxv is totally legal in all apropriate classes...its a mispint tey surely meant sxv...ama has proven in the past that they dont necessarily know much about motorcycles

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank god! I was afraid my dreams of sumo were being shot down! Why won't they let it in the pro class?? (not that I plan on going pro ANYTIME soon hahaha)

·
Registered
443 Posts
they do.
i just raced an esmra race with chris fischer and hes heading out to seatle for the AMA race to ride the factory bike next weekend. so i know him and the rest of the aprilia team are gonna be there, it would be a hell of a surprise for them all if the bike is suddenly illegal!!!
the only stipulation is that the aprilia has 20lb heavier min weight, but its already 30lb heavier so no big deal
i just raced my 4.5 in an esmra race last weekend, perfectly legal

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys!!

ill be at the esmra race this sat in cherry valley! so any of you junkies should stop on by! ill be the red ape # 669 (well i hope i get my number lol).

i just had a couple quick ques. what does the tech inspecgtion mean by safety wire? and what do i do about the heat catch can? pics would be greatly appreciated as i have no idea what to do for those!

·
Registered
443 Posts
thanks guys!!

ill be at the esmra race this sat in cherry valley! so any of you junkies should stop on by! ill be the red ape # 669 (well i hope i get my number lol).

i just had a couple quick ques. what does the tech inspecgtion mean by safety wire? and what do i do about the heat catch can? pics would be greatly appreciated as i have no idea what to do for those!
catch can is not a problem on your bike, you dont need one, no carbs so no carb vents and everything else goes in the airbox so youre set as far as that goes.
if you dont know what safety wire is you might want to look it up or get in touch wit a racer close by so you can see his bike

are you in new york?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is what said needed to be safety wired:
• Safety wire – oil filter bolts (0.024” diameter minimum)
• Safety wire – spin on oil filters (requires metal clamps & safety wiring)
• Safety wire – oil filler caps and oil lines
• Safety wire – fork oil drain screws (or secured with Permatex, tape, etc)
• Safety wire – oil drain plug
• Safety wire – masterlink clip (or secured with Permatex, tape, etc.)

now with the sxv am i right in thinking i dont have to worry about:
the masterlink clip because its a continuous chain?
the oil filter bolts because everything is behind the oil filter cover?
the spin on oil filter because it too is behind the filter cover?

now the oil filler caps and lines im not to sure what to do? i was told to drill a hole through the bolt and attach it to something or twist it off? how do i do this for the lines?

also the fork oil drain screws, i want to permatex them but wont that mean id be loosing fork oil in the process?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts