SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL! AGAIN!!?? O.K. now that we got that out of the way.

I'm looking for tires because the front tire is pointy and the rear is a plateau. I'm also looking to go CHEAP here and to be as honest as possible I ride like an animal. Dirt, gravel, twisties, everywhere, wheelies, rolling burnouts and as fast as I possibly can almost everywhere I go. I also LOVE, yes LOVE! the stock tire that came on the bike 180/55 ZR 17 D208 RR and it's lasted me 4500 miles now.... unobtanium. The tire always felt hard to me and really I've never put my hand on it and said "wow it's hot!" Connecticut temps that I'm riding in are almost always shaded roads and off season, no race track temps here 40 - 90 degrees ambient air. It has also always felt, altho I've never had it off the bike, light to me... very light and I think I really need to have that. I don't want anything with a dual purpose tread. I do probably 40% full dirt roads and trails but I never had an issue and I'm not willing to compromise any street performance with an aggressive off road tread pattern. Might be due to the fact out soil contains alot of rock and in fact when I ride truly off road I aim for the large rocks for some fun factor but also for traction. I weigh about 240 lbs and the suspension is all stock just stiffened up a bit but I do like it mushy. So to sum up my current tire and probably wants.

CHEAP
long life
all street tread
lightweight design
extremely planted feel
240 lb rider

Now I see one of the site sponsors has some Maxxis slick 160/60 17 SL-1 Soft Compound for $89 shipped. Wasting money or worth a shot? I just don't know what a 160 is going to do to me. I've never been on one but have the feeling a soft compound will cure any fears. Will I get 2250 miles out of it? I have just about every question about a tire that I could have. If you have answers from experience please let it rip. I just replaced the rear on my Hyper. It had a diablo corsa III on it. Dual compound, bla bla bla but I didn't like it. Moving from the middle of the tire onto the edges always gave me a pucker. I think I'm just too much for them and there's enough sketchy in my riding that I didn't need that too. So I had a Michelin pilot put on and it's fine so far but I don't ride that bike as nearly on the edge as I do the SXV. Not even close. So again if you have any input I'd appreciate it because I'm just going into the unknown with race tires that are small which is the best that I can put it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
35 views, not even a F you ApTard

Think I can squeeze a Distanzia 160/60HR17 REAR onto my 5.5" wheel and stay ridable?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
F you ApTard :laughingr

Edit: Goosedog ran Pirelli Scorpion Sync's on his 610 and liked them a lot. Felt they were comparable to the Avons, and they make them in a 180 55 17.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm running continental force attack sport / race
Use the race one on the front.
Not cheap but a long life span with good feedback and feel.

Not sure about going lower than 180 rear, never tried and it's my understanding it's the best choice with the kind of power the sxv packs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Stock SXV5.5 Tires

I am preparing to remove the stock Dunlop tires from a 2008 SXV5.5 that I just bought. I run Michelin's on all my bikes, otherwise I'd leave them on. They have about 1200 miles on them, and are in great shape. Are you interested in those?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am preparing to remove the stock Dunlop tires from a 2008 SXV5.5 that I just bought. I run Michelin's on all my bikes, otherwise I'd leave them on. They have about 1200 miles on them, and are in great shape. Are you interested in those?
I appreciate the offer but I think I'm looking for new equipment.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just recieved Scorpion SYNC for mine, they do make a 180, pretty good looking, I'll let you know. I know where there is a front on the rack for 89.95! Back one is around 225, though, if yer payin.:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got regular sport bike tires again. Power 2CT supposed to be GP style. Lightweight, fast warm up, see what happens.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Dunlop D616

Cheap
All around tread
120/180

PM Darkhyper to get his feel on the tires... I just rode with him in the WNC mountains... He loved them, and he's on a heavier bike (Hyper)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dunlop D616

Cheap
All around tread
120/180

PM Darkhyper to get his feel on the tires... I just rode with him in the WNC mountains... He loved them, and he's on a heavier bike (Hyper)

LOL! I was just checking out photos from your ride and spotted those on the hyper. I looked at them too. Just so many options with no real gauge but to just get them and try them. Thanks for the input they're going on the wishlist as well.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just got regular sport bike tires again. Power 2CT supposed to be GP style. Lightweight, fast warm up, see what happens.
I have the power 2ct's on my triple, I love them. I had the Conti force sm's on my DRZ great tires, but didn't last long

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My race rains are 160's while they are great for the occasional outting on the track id want a wider rear in the back. i have a 165 michilin slick in the rear which fits nicely but if i was doing street riding all the time id just go back to the stock. You cant cheap out on tires. Theyre generally one of those things that you get what you pay for, and you need to have confidence that your not going to slide out and you know not crash and die. Definetly worth spending a few extra bucks for that peace of mind :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Front

Rear

Felt heavy to me so I weighed them if anyone was interested.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
305 Posts
They look new still? Didn't they make a few passes up the peak?
not unless sweeney left town early with my bike to scuff them in for me!! :DI'm still home. Thoes photos are from aweek or so back, just thought you would like a comparison. I thought those Dunlops were pretty nice, too. Would like to try them sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts